The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bending Clutch Levers
Thanks for reminding me that with the toggle posts are held in the pressure plate by the lining and not the cover plate.   I was getting myself even more confused than normal!

I've just taken the cover plate off and, for right or wrong, filed down the two higher repair pegs so that all three are now the same depth to within 0.05mm which I was fairly pleased with.   On the spring side of the cover plate the repair pegs have been peened over like rivets and not centre punched in place which I would have thought more likely if it was to stop a screw undoing.

Just in case they are headed pins rather than grub screws I'm wondering if I should tack weld them once I'm sure the toggle heights are all OK.   To be honest I'm not that good at welding but I do have a MIG set so could probably get a reasonably strong tack in place for added security.

What do you think?

John.
Hi John

Rightly or wrongly I rely on high strength lock tight to secure the screws so I would imagine an inexperienced welder could do more harm than good. AND once welded it will be difficult to reset the grub screws once the mig has been at them.

Cheers

Howard
Hi,

After much struggling, mainly with trying to measure the position of the toggle ends accurately relative to the crankcase, I have now managed to reduce the error between the deepest and shallowest to 0.3mm.

Whilst I'm not desperately happy with this even to get this accurate I've taken the clutch off and filed the repair plugs three times and each time the differences have reduced but also changed relative to each other.

I can take it off again but how accurate does it really need to be as there is no doubt variable wear in the thrust race slots?

Obviously I don't want to put the engine back if it's likely to still be a problem but I'm also not sure I can get it that much better by what's become more "trial and error" than a scientific approach.

What do you think?

John.
Whatever you do, you must first refit the gearbox and check the clutch works correctly before putting the engine back in the car.
So you are using a 3 speed thrust race as you mention thrust race slots. Ruairidh has previously posted a solution to wear here by placing a ring washer in the groove. It stays there by finger pressure and another variable is eliminated.
Hi John

As Ruairidh says, assemble everything on the bench and check the clutch moves, engages and has sufficient travel.

I would be happy with just 12 thou variation on the toggle ends! Others might disagree?

Cheers

Howard