The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A world of indifferences
Charles, after last week's experience of turning right and getting shoved off the road I would be inerested in a photo of your rear light setup sometime. Not keen on the tiny rubber ones available.
Cheers,
Dave.

"Interested"
Sounds very unpleasant Dave.
I'll take a photo when I next open the garage but these are the ones I fitted:
https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/produc...-rear-lamp (available all over the place in different quality I suspect, even LED versions)
In conveniently the ones I had have cheap pressed steel single filament bulb holders so needed a little manipulation to install new bulb holders like these
https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/produc...ulb-holder
Fortunately I had all the parts already so it was a matter of time & effort. They replaced some Rubbolite ones that had brake/tail lights in them but I didn't want to festoon the rear of the car with extra lamps. The flasher is a simply Lucas one with a repeater lamp in my eyeline.

Charles
Thank you Charles they look just the ones I would like. Will invest in those when funds and domestic management allow. Seem to be spending too much on  daughter's Series 2 Landy recently. Definitely need them after last week. Have decent pork pie ones on RN saloon which was used for work through Sheffield. Now is the time to sort it out when I have time on my hands to some extent. 
Cheers,
Dave.
Maybe indicators are a waste of time, out in the modern this morning and right on the white line indicating to turn right, one last check of my mirror before turning to see a motorcyclist starting to overtake. Yes the indicator was working, I understand our Australian friends refer to motorcyclists as temporary Australians.
There are old motorcyclists, and bold motorcyclists. Sadly there are very few old, bold motorcyclists.

One of the reasons why you should always check behind before changing course or direction (Roadcraft)
Reckers.. Most of them have never seen a Roadcraft Book, like what you and me was trained with!!
I know, but Roadcraft is just plain self preservation and common sense, written down. It's not rocket science. If you treat everyone else on the road as an idiot that is out to kill you then you won't go far wrong. Cars are far too safe these days to the extent that you can make horrendous miscalculations and still walk away from a crash virtually unscathed. I saw a programme once on TV where an accident investigator said it would reduce road casualties if instead of airbags cars had a huge spike pointing out of the steering column! Probably get the sack for it these days in case he upset a snowflake. ( it wasn't me, honest)
Snap! I did the Roadcraft course after riding motorcycles for nearly 30 years and realised not only what a lousy motorcyclist I was, but how lucky I was to still be here!
Summer 2012, late on a Saturday afternoon. Malcolm and I are in my Trials Chummy on the B6105 to the East of Clocaenog Forest, North Wales. The road is pretty straight but undulating. We’re about to turn right. I’ve moved over to the middle of the road, arm out signalling. Check mirror for the last time, take a quick look over my right shoulder and, as it’s clear, start to turn. Just as the car starts to go to the right a motorbike screams past on our offside. He misses us by inches, wobbles all over the road as he brakes to a standstill, looks back at us in anger and then drives off. Fractions of a second later and he’d have T boned the Chummy and it’s probable that the three of us wouldn’t have survived. What I can say is that he certainly wasn’t in view when I checked my mirror for the last time or looked over my shoulder. You never can be sure but his speed must have been 90/100mph. The Chummy could have had a hundred indicators or, indeed, it could have been a 40 tonne artic. The same situation would have occurred because the lunatic biker came over a blind brow at a ridiculous speed with no thought as to what might have been on the other side. We later learned that this is common occurrence on this road that sometimes has much worse consequences.
Crikey Steve...if the motorcyclist had done the Roadcraft course, he would have seen the sign for the junction, failing that approaching a blind summit he should have been expecting something in the road and in either case backed off and been ready to brake.