The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
6v Battery Conection
If the coil is marked + and - it will give a clue as to polarity. The wire going to the distributor will indicate which is earth...
Once again, Wyatt appears to come to the rescue! It appears that the positive earthing system was introduced on 6th December 1935 at chassis no: 236210. So, Stuart, if your chassis number is before this, you are on negative earth. If after this, its positively positive!
Interesting article here on how to determine which way the car is wired, assuming your coil is connected up to the distributor as ever it was when it was running.
https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/ignition/ig104.htm
My 1935 ARQ Ruby, is and always has been Negative Earth.
My 1934 ARQ Ruby, is and always has been Negative Earth.
My Sept 1934 Ruby ch 198885 was positive earth. So if original, there were positive earth rubies ?
(26-06-2020, 07:52 PM)Pearls not a Singer Wrote: My Sept 1934 Ruby ch 198885 was positive earth. So if original, there were positive earth rubies ?

There were negative earth Rubys, then positive earth Rubys, but in Sept '34 yours would be negative.
The polarity doesn't matter very much. Maybe connect the battery, don't turn on the ignition but switch on something. Maybe horn or lights. If the ammeter goes the wrong way then reverse the battery terminals.
Jim
"The polarity doesn't matter very much. Maybe connect the battery, don't turn on the ignition but switch on something. Maybe horn or lights. If the ammeter goes the wrong way then reverse the battery terminals."

Agreed +1