The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Better than the Beach at Brighton....
Another primus advocate. On one occasion we picnicked on a local long beach and  a few miles on the way home realised no Primus. We returned. A car was parked in similar position and we asked if they had seen it. No. I wandered over to their station wagon and the primus was in the back. Apparently the wife had picked it up without mentioning.... such items were relatively much more expensive than now. The RP had an underbonnet battery box intended to originally also cnatain used nappies. (Mine!). Later served as the Primus compartment.
As to large framed bike my practical mates used to take a ring spanner to school and lock the seat fully extended so I had to ride home standing on the pedals. I suppose in the early days there were no traffic stops so cyclists did not have to repeatedly reach the ground. I presume the frames were to obtain rigidity, yet the corresponding ladies bikes were like riding a jelly. The unfortunate ladies never learned the difference.
Which Chummy?, is there a picture missing? Or is there another David Cochrane?
Primus stoves are for softies. What you need is an Optimus Petrol stove. A truly dangerous device. Still got mine - it lurks on a shelf in the garage, threatening like.
Alan Fairless
(26-06-2020, 08:39 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote:
(26-06-2020, 02:28 AM)Tony Press Wrote: Were we really that tiny in the 20's ?
Well yes, many were:

Attached Files
.jpg   height.jpg (Size: 125.36 KB / Downloads: 294)
I heard a while back that part of the reason for the original tinyness was the consequence of the pollution and diet particularly around the industrial revolution.
Thanks Tony, for those like me who haven’t a clue about “cm” measurement, 1921-25 is 5’8” and 1971-75 is 5’10”...once I’d worked that out, I was quite surprised.

At 5’8” myself, apparently I’m the perfect height for a Spitfire pilot or driving an Austin Seven...now all I have to do is save up for the aeroplane....
Note the dates in Tony's chart are birth dates, so an average fifty year old would be around 5'6" in the late 1920s.
During the First World War, the British army had a minimum height requirement of 5'3". There were so many volunteers that failed to meet this requirement that they ended up recruiting 30,000 men in 'Bantam' battalions!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-31023270
In 1928 the average 50 year old might well be not around anymore.
Alan Fairless
Don't get me started on Primus and Optimus! There was available a clip to go on your crossbar to carry a Primus, a canvas satchel saddlebag with enamel or china cups and saucers, tin boxes with a full tea service and methylated spirit stove, a suitcase-like picnic outfit with kettle,stove, sandwich boxes and china with cutlery from companies like Sirram of Birmingham. The means of producing a cup of the essential "brew which refreshes but does nor inebriate" to go with the sandwiches and buns were almost infinite in their variety.
I've seen many a pine box fitted out to carry the "makings" designed to go under the bonnet or in the boot. It's not surprising that the British have a reputation for the love of tea!