The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gould bodies
Another one. Stephen has mentioned that he was the one that engraved the '7' on the propshaft tunnel to mimic the original stamping, so don't expect to find another Gould body with numbering there!

.jpg   DH8465 Spye Park July 1978.jpg (Size: 132.84 KB / Downloads: 546)
It was Stephen building that car that persuaded me I had to build my Ulster rep. The chassis came from you, Mike. I’ve still got it 40 years later.
Alan Fairless
Yes, I seemed to have a surplus of 1930 chassis at the time, Stephen's was another of mine.
Of course, there's Bertie Fowler's Ulster...but you're probably aware of it. I'll try and obtain its number if your want. He's not that into computers or anything technical, so he's unlikely to see this post/thread!
yes, he's a known variable! Its the ones where ownership has changed and plates have perhaps been sold (or chassis' being changed) that it gets complicated. But 79 isn't a big number to try and resolve when say half of them are presently known.
Have just discovered this thread looking for something else!

I believe my Ulster replica was one of the first bodies Chris produced, and the first to be built with the full touring wings. It also featured as the frontespiece in the first edition of his Ulster build manual. It went to the 1977 IOM Queens silver jubilee rally in 1977, and recorded the favourite comment of the week, when an old couple looking at it on the Seafront in appreciation commented that " I bet there is no fibreglass in that one". Didn't have the heart to disillusion them.

Was sold in the mid 80's to a pea farmer in Suffolk somewhere, who had a barn full of collectible cars, and used money he obtained from the pea crop that left over from that contracted to Birds Eye or similar, to enhance his collection.

haven't a clue where it went after that, probably still there!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Stan - it was body 12 of 80, supplied in cream?
It now wears KA-TZ-770, so I guess that means abroad.
Just thinking, last time I saw Steve was at a VSCC Derbyshire Rally late 80s when I was navigating John Vessey’s Lancia Lambda. Time flies.
Alan Fairless
(21-11-2021, 09:34 PM)JonE Wrote: Stan - it was body 12 of 80, supplied in cream?
It now wears KA-TZ-770, so I guess that means abroad.

It was actually supplied in a sort of poo brown which for some reason I specified. I sprayed it with, from memory, a period Datsun cream when building it as I decided the brown wasn't attractive with black wings (which although supplied black, looked better in paint), and the final effect was much more to my liking with a red interior. I certainly don't recall anything about numbering, don't believe I even knew they had one! The only thing that I regret with that build was not fitting an Ulster exhaust and intake system (economics)!), it was running a standard 1930 engine and transmission from a derelict fabric saloon dragged from a field, but with a later 14mm head, and a replacement chassis as the saloon one was rusted through, plus a C/R 3 speed  box.

It would be nice to know it is in good hands.
Chris is hoping to have a gathering of Goulds at Moreton - are you perhaps going to attend as I see you are reasonably close... original owners as good as cars!