The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin Seven Racing in Australia from 1928
Friends may be interested in a thread on the Autosport Nostalgia Forum with this title. A number of well-known Ausi Austineers feature -, either writing themselves or being quoted. There are a number of historic photos and some lengthy quotes from Australian club magazines that are worth study.

Access to the Nostalgia Forum is free and straightforward.
Would you be kind enough to post a link please I can't find it on a search. Thank you
Just google”autosport nostalgia forum” and the site comes up. Three bars on top RH corner gives search function. Cheers
Cheers from Chris and Hilary
Link:

https://forums.autosport.com/topic/21508...from-1928/
The thread on the Nostalgia Forum keeps growing. Today there is a lengthy piece on the restoration of Grant Cowie's Duck single-seater. The the photos are worth a look on their own.
I had the absolute pleasure of racing against Grant in the Duck, racing against is probably a bit of a loose term, the car was so fast he lapped me! But to see, hear, smell (It ran on Methanol with castor oil, glorious) and follow it through a few corners in anger before waving goodbye as at disappeared ahead of me is a personal hi light for my time on track in an A7.
Black Art Enthusiast
What a fascinating thread!  Enough material for a book on the subject?
Such a small cockpit and pedal area- I dion/'t know how Grant (and the earlier intrepid drivers) fitted.

I still remember meeting Grant  and seeing the 'Duck' up close at a vintage 1/4 mile sprint meeting at Ballarat in country Victoria some years ago. A wonderful car and the only complete Duck left out of the original four cars.

I think it is more impressive than the Twin Cam, being still relatively close to the Austin Seven. 

I think it ran around 14 seconds for the 1!/4 - not bad for a car nearly 100 years old.

I have a good file on the Duck and will add a few more pictures !

I was told that the Duck could have come to Victoria but Austin Distributors wouldn't pay the duty ??
Actually Tony, once installed in the cockpit it is not as tight as you might imagine, I am 5'10" with size 9 feet, I got in and although every snug I was comfortable enough. It should be said that Grant had made the steering wheel removable, I am not sure it could have got in and out without that!
Black Art Enthusiast