The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A charming Austin 7 scene from 1937
(20-06-2020, 02:56 AM)Tony Press Wrote:
(19-06-2020, 09:32 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: A restored cover. Now it's finished - after something of a wrestling match - I rather like this one. Click the image for a higher resolution copy.

I know people are larger now than in the 30s but is there a bit of artistic licence ?
There certainly is. Nearly all drawn A7 advertisements have "The Borrowers" inhabiting the cars. There are also "artistic impressions" that show what must be 6-cylinder Rubies - and Box saloons extended to provide more than ample accommodation in the rear. Still, many of the images are utterly delightful and "off the time". It would not surprise me to discover that publicity photographs had also been rigged - with the smallest men and women from accounts dragooned into taking part.
From her expression I don't think the young lady has a headache.

ref CCE 73,  my Ruby was CCE 954 (when I had her back in 1965 ish).
I wonder how many got the reference to the Borrowers. I only know because my son was young at the time. It was curiously entertaining. I often used the reference for red heads, but, like my allusions to Stirling Moss, as the decades rolled by, lost most people.
In the photo of the sports model, with the old cameras there was often a lot of time spent setting the distance, speed, positiong for reasonable compositon, and the subjects acquired that resigned/bored look. And if it was only a box Brownie they had to stay very still. But at lest the photos survived whereas most of todays do not and will not.
(23-07-2020, 10:15 PM)Bob Culver Wrote: I wonder how many got the reference to the Borrowers. I only know because my son was young at the time. It was curiously entertaining. I often used the reference for red heads, but, like my allusions to Stirling Moss, as the decades rolled by, lost most people.
In the photo of the sports model, with the old cameras there was often a lot of time spent setting the distance, speed, positiong for reasonable compositon, and the subjects acquired that resigned/bored look. And  if it was only a box Brownie they had to stay very still. But at lest the photos survived whereas most of todays do not and will not.
For the young ones amongst us, I've put a hyperlink
Hi Tony
One never ceases to learn . I had no idea the Borrowers preceded Morris Minors as per the film!
I have a family of Borrowers in my garage; they like to take my tools when I'm not looking, and return them when I have managed the job I was doing by using other methods ...
(24-07-2020, 08:17 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: I have a family of Borrowers in my garage; they like to take my tools when I'm not looking, and return them when I have managed the job I was doing by using other methods ...
You have them too! Even when I employ my personal assistant, Mrs Radar*, she can't find them either. The other month I made a stiffening strut for the brake cross-shaft; the top section was finished on the miller and then disappeared - it literally evaporated when my back was turned. Gone, never to be found. Mrs Radar did her best, but no luck, I had to make another. Of course, as we all know, one day it will turn up, rejected by the Borrowers as being now unfashionable or worn out....
*The all-knowing, all-seeing corporal clerk from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M*A*S*H_(TV_series)