The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A charming Austin 7 scene from 1937
A restored cover. Now it's finished - after something of a wrestling match - I rather like this one. Click the image for a higher resolution copy.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Great image Tony, thanks for sharing.
Certainly interesting. Do owners consider this an accurate depiction?  I always considered that model in the flesh to be neatly  proportioned.
I note the driver is prudently conserving the ampere hours.
(19-06-2020, 09:32 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: A restored cover. Now it's finished - after something of a wrestling match - I rather like this one. Click the image for a higher resolution copy.

I know people are larger now than in the 30s but is there a bit of artistic licence ?

Attached Files
.jpg   Ruby.jpg (Size: 51.37 KB / Downloads: 462)
(20-06-2020, 12:26 AM)Bob Culver Wrote: Certainly interesting. Do owners consider this an accurate depiction?  I always considered that model in the flesh to be neatly  proportioned.

surely the oddest thing is the car shown on a sunny day ( shadow under car ) but the house has all the lights on. Perhaps this scene closely follows a total eclipse — perhaps it’s time I got out of bed and made a cup of tea.
Or full moon?

I think it's quite a reasonable rendition; perhaps the suspension is a bit low, but the figures are much more in proportion than most illustrations of the period.

.jpg   Alice Day.jpg (Size: 117.94 KB / Downloads: 428)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...rs-on.html

Alice Day would probably have been even smaller!
(20-06-2020, 06:35 AM)Charles Levien Wrote:
(20-06-2020, 12:26 AM)Bob Culver Wrote: Certainly interesting. Do owners consider this an accurate depiction?  I always considered that model in the flesh to be neatly  proportioned.

surely the oddest thing is the car shown on a sunny day ( shadow under car ) but the house has all the lights on. Perhaps this scene closely follows a total eclipse — perhaps it’s time I got out of bed and made a cup of tea.
I've just noticed that Mike beat me to it - it's moonlight, Bob - and a full moon by the looks of it (or a street light?)..... With an almost flat battery, I once drove across most of Norfolk, in the early hours of the morning, just by the light of a full moon. The moon was behind and the road clearly visible.

(20-06-2020, 08:26 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Or full moon?

I think it's quite a reasonable rendition; perhaps the suspension is a bit low, but the figures are much more in proportion than most illustrations of the period.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...rs-on.html

Alice Day would probably have been even smaller!
Great story - well spotted, Mike! The bit about the walls of the salon bending in two and the noiseless blast - quite astonishing. Covid-19? A stroll in the park by comparison.
Returning to the theme of little people in the 1920s and 1930s, how small is this guy? Most people today would be head and shoulders taller, needing to stoop to see through the windscreen!

.jpg   1925 GE Cup.jpg (Size: 170.91 KB / Downloads: 270)
He's slumped in the car as you can just see his knee below the steering wheel. Probably reflecting on the good time he had with his lady during their drive!
Nah - she's got a headache!
Rick

In deepest Norfolk