The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gear box
Hello,
I have a Jan 34 4 seater tourer and trying to find out if you can date the gearbox or not?
cheers
if your top serial number happens to match the serial number near the output shaft, then you will be able to trust the SYN or SYN2 or no-SYN designation on the top to give you an approximation/age zone.
Yes they do match says 2syn 7787 so I'm hoping its correct?
What might help if others with obviously original 2SYN boxes like yours and possible registration history tie up were to assemble serial numbers here - and then it might start to see if there is some pattern....
I think the into points for SYN and 2SYN are in the Wyatt and Green books?
According to Wyatt, the synchro box (3rd and top) was introduced at chassis number 179368 on the 22nd August 1933.
Although Wyatt is silent on the point, the Ruby was introduced at chassis number 198596 on 7th July 1934. Presumably cars from that chassis number were fitted with boxes with synchro on 2nd, 3rd and 4th, because Wyatt states that 2nd speed synchro boxes were introduced on high frame variants from the 30th July 1934, the implication being that the low frame cars were already fitted with such boxes.

I hope this assists.