The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
understanding 3 speed gearbox conversions
In the opening contribution to this thread by JonE he mentions Andes gears being 18/24 or 20/24. Are both ratios avilable, and how do they compare in the opinions of those who have tried both? I am at the point of considering such an improvement on our Chummy.
I can't help with your question Robert but can say that the Andes gear is a huge improvement. I don't know which variety I have.
The ability to hold 30mph indefinitely is a great benefit in Traffic.
In the flat lands of East Anglia it would be excellent.
The only drawback is the gap between 1st & 2nd which becomes a problem on steeper hills such as in the Yorkshire Alps around Malcolm Parker's outings. The long not so steep hills of The Borders suit it very well.
Andy Bird is the man to ask.
Jim
Where do I find Andrew Bird and his Andes gears please. I had a look here but did not find him. Also on the net but I doubt he's also a singer...
http://austinsevengearboxservices.co.uk

both ratios are mentioned on 'ere...

I understood Vince Leek did them too from past forum threads, but didn't have a reply.
Andrew Birds website with contact details:-

http://austinsevengearboxservices.co.uk/...4590369271
Thanks for the links.
No prices unfortunately of course.
Prices very reasonable indeed.
Jim
Supply only of gears by Andy Bird I was quoted £200. Obviously if he rebuilds for you he is likely to replace other worn components, and will charge for his labour. I did not ask a likely price for this.
Considering the work Andy does on the gears £200 is a bargain!
Jim
AustinWood Wrote:Considering the work Andy does on the gears £200 is a bargain!

Completely agree. And...not only is it a better ratio but it gets rid of all the noise from a worn standard gear set.