The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overtaking Mirrors
Are the mirrors that have stalks that take the place of the pin in the upper hinge still available anywhere?
(17-01-2018, 11:04 PM)David Cochrane Wrote: Thanks for your reply - did you have to drill holes in the door? And what sort of bolts/screws did you use?

Yes David, you will need to drill the door.  a bit of masking tape on the surface first will help to stop the drill from slipping.  Willie supplies the screws and the rubber washer to go under the mirror arm. The drill is about 3m/m.
The best thing is to ere on the safe side and go smaller then open up to suit. (you could do a dummy run on a piece of scrap.)
SMILEY.

If you mean like this Michael, it is a motorcycle mirror which I bought from Lightening Spares Manchester. I chopped the original mounting thread off, tapped the end of the stalk 2BA and fitted a long 2BA stud.

Oops, I must have clicked something twice, but at least Timothy's instructions work.
Dave thanks for the lead, of course these were the things that would festoon a mod's scooter.

That, or something like it, is very much what I had in mind!
I've just checked Lighting spares website and found that they are closed.
Be careful when using the stainless self tappers supplied with the mirrors. There are 2 metal skins on the door frame that don't match the pitch on the screws. The excellent quality of the metal means its quite possible to snap the screw (as I did. Lol)
Fortunately there was enough left sticking out to remove the broken piece.
(18-01-2018, 08:41 PM)Ade Thrower Wrote: Be careful when using the stainless self tappers supplied with the mirrors. There are 2 metal skins on the door frame that don't match the pitch on the screws. The excellent quality of the metal means its quite possible to snap the screw (as I did. Lol)
Fortunately there was enough left sticking out to remove the broken piece.

Yes Ade, a valid point. However, that is why I suggested having a dummy run on a piece of scrap if in doubt, in order to determine the correct size drill. a little lubrication helps too. I fitted 2 mirrors with no problem.  Maybe you had a duff screw.
smiley.