The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PWA7C = 750MC?
Lightbulb 
Had heard a rumour recently that there was a possibility of a tie up between the 750MC and PWA7C for the 750MC's 'Austin Seven' members. That's just been confirmed as a formal proposal by a letter that arrived here this morning. It appears that the existing 750 'A7' centres (like mine -Tunbridge Wells) are effectively going to become PWA7C centres.

Does seem like a good idea to me. When I joined the 750 club in early 1973, there was still a substantial A7 membership amongst the Sporting Trials and (Reliant powered) 750 formula racers, so at that time there was a  good reason for A7 people to join. That's not really the case today. Using the maths in the letter today, it says that the PWA7C has about 1000 members, and that the merger would increase PWA7C membership by 20%. If those numbers are correct, there are only 200 of us 'A7 people' left in the 750 club. I would think quite a few of us are now really members from habit rather than conviction; at a recent club meeting where  'who joined when' came up in conversation I found that my 47 years of membership left me as a 'Johnny come lately' amongst the group.

Would be interested to hear the other forum members views on this, whether members of either or neither club.
That seems a really good idea and will address the geographical disparity. I joined the PW for a different mag... but everyone active is oop north.

Where is my letter? (I guess its further to get down here).
I am a member of the PWA7C but had heard nothing of this until I read this thread. I welcome you all but wonder how it will be done. The PWA7C is divided up into regional branches are our new friends from the 750MC being enrolled (for want of a better word) into branches covering there geographical locations or will there become 750 branch. I hope that it is the former as this will help with creating a smooth merger of both clubs and not a us and them situation as has happed with A non motoring/car club to which I am a member.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
hi stuart,

so are they stopping austin 7s from racing in the 750mc?

lf not why refer the austin 7 club members to the PWA7C?

seems strange to me that people would race but not have membership. not receive a magazine etc.

i know a few years ago the PWA7C, was wound up. that many felt the sports side of the club with the bert hadley. needed to be seperated? with more sports orientated members. would it then make sense to seperate the sports section from the PWA7C.

im not a member of either anymore, but its interesting to see whats happening.

tony
I resigned my membership a couple of years ago siting the lack of interest in Austin sevens and the grey magazine arriving sometimes 6 weeks after everybody else got theirs. I nearly missed out on the last Euro tour because I did not know that entries were being invited, my reply was . Oh OK. Which seriously p****ed me off. It would be a great shame to lose the 750 Mc identity considering its great history.
I look on with interest.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
Haven't we been promised some sort of "refreshed" version of the Companion?
I hope that this means that it will actually see the light of day

Charles
Like a few others I was a member of the 750MC — since 1962 so quite a lot of mixed feelings when I quit a couple of years ago. 
Our local club, part of the association of Austin seven clubs, is more like the 750 used to be and, as others have said, is the best way to get the grey mag. Getting this through the 750 became difficult and I ended up getting my copy a few weeks after everyone one else — or so it seemed.
I’m aware of the great work done by several people in the 750MC and value their contribution over many years but the present club is not as A7 oriented as before, for understandable reasons.
(09-06-2020, 04:22 PM)John Mason Wrote: I am a member of the PWA7C but had heard nothing of this until I read this thread. I welcome you all but wonder how it will be done. The PWA7C is divided up into regional branches are our new friends from the 750MC being enrolled (for want of a better word) into branches  covering there geographical locations or will there become 750 branch.  I hope that it is the former as this will help with creating a smooth merger of both clubs and not a us and them situation as has happed with A non motoring/car club to which I am a member.

John Mason

Apologies, I'd assumed that PWA7C members had also been formally informed on this proposal. I'm not going to reproduce the whole letter as it's quite wordy, but as regards your concern, this is what it says:  "The existing 750 Motor Club 'Centres' would become PWA7C centres yet remain with 750MC titles (e.g. 750 Brooklands Centre) and would continue to run autonomously as per the current setup by existing members. As part of the proposal, 750MC Austin Seven members would have the the option of transferring membership to the PWA7C and the PWA7C would duly handle membership going forward"

(09-06-2020, 06:03 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: hi stuart,

so are they stopping austin 7s from racing in the 750mc?

lf not why refer the austin 7 club members to the PWA7C?

seems strange to me that people would race but not have membership. not receive a magazine etc.

i know a few years ago the PWA7C, was wound up. that many felt the sports side of the club with the bert hadley. needed to be seperated? with more sports orientated members. would it then make sense to seperate the sports section from the PWA7C.

im not a member of either anymore, but its interesting to see whats happening.

tony

It appears from the letter that 750MC want to keep the A7 racers in the "Historic 750 Formula" race series, so they would need to belong to the 750MC in order to be able to race. This will probably continue unless or until the grids get thin. As the Formula 1300 guys discovered, if you can't fill the grid meeting after meeting, the plug gets pulled on your formula PDQ and your racecar suddenly becomes an expensive ornament. 

The 750 strapline used to be "Leaders in low cost motorsport" now it's "The home of affordable motorsport" a walk around the paddock at a modern day 750 meeting will be an education on what an elastic term "affordable" happens to be - those HGV transporters with full length awnings, digital setup platforms etc. The fact is that the modern day 750 Club is really just about running race meetings and collecting race entry revenue. "ordinary" A7 members aren't of any real financial value to the club in the current business model, which is why the board will be happy to say goodbye to us.  Regardless, I think this a good thing for ordinary members, because A7 people can belong to a club that actually has the same focus as its members which is certainly not the case right now.
I do hope there is a continuing appetite in the merged club for the sporting /racing activities and a desire to honour the heritage of the 750 club. It seems to me the Austin 7 membership have been the squeezed minority for far too long.

From a practical point of view the many facets of the 750 club have been pulling in different directions for a couple of decades or more so perhaps for the non-racing membership at least this will be a welcome new start.

I'm always amazed at the number of clubs we have for such a small group of enthusiasts!

Peter.
(750 member from '76 to '99)
hi stuart.

thanks or the reply.

i can only imagine they are not to bothered if there are 7s racing.

the members they have may continue racing, but if you dont have austin 7 members. were will the future racers of austin 7s come from?

sadly your PDQ may come quite quickly. Huh

tony.