The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ML magneto gears
Our 1928 Chummy went "tinkle tinkle bang" this week during a run round the block. I have now discovered that all of the teeth are missing from the smaller of the 2 spur gears in the magneto, so the distributor stopped rotating!

Has anyone overcome this before please or do I just need to find a replacement magneto? Interestingly, the spare that came with the car has the same problem.

We are wanting to keep things original if possible so, at this point are not considering a coil conversion.

We would also be grateful for any advice on who else to talk to please.

Many thanks.
The lower gear is tufnol isn't it? I think I have a couple of spares but don't know what condition they are in I will check and get back to you. 

Tom

The human brain is a wonderful thing (sometimes). Yes I had two on the shelf one inside an incomplete spare mag, and one on a spare magnet. 
It is a little worn but usable. If your mag was working up until the gear let go it would be a shame to replace the whole unit. Where abouts are you based? I am near Guildford if you want you can come and collect it (current caveats apply), failing that I can drop it in the post.  
Just let me know. 

Tom
Tom,
Fantastic news. You may well be a life saver! Yes, the magneto was working fine until that point.
We are just North of Eastbourne and would be pleased to visit Guildford at a time to suit you.
Please PM me with your details.
Best regards
Alan