The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lucas SM5 switch panel spare parts
Hi
We may be able to supply new lever
ARP ltd tel 01202 625242
bump to the previous question in #10. It's one of those things about the forum. You try to keep threads full of the same sort of information so it becomes a good resource, but new readers do tend to go to the top of a thread rather than the last post?
(06-10-2021, 10:28 AM)JonE Wrote: Just re-assembling and I could have sworn there was a good how-to on one of the owners clubs. Cornwall just concentrates on the lettering for the switchpanel. Any suggestions?

1. The two "bobbled" rotating brass terminal selector plates I think used to be symmetrical but the wings appear to wear on the side where the contact the centre sprung terminal/post. Is it thus sensible to swap these so the long one is reused to the centre?

2. I also have large (but thin/flexi) insulating washers which fit the bakelite knobs (internal diameter) somewhere but I'm not sure where. Do they go just under the faceplate? or?

here is the asymmetric selector. If they are physically different from the start, then what is the other side actually for? Are they to be used in different ways for each side of the SM5?

I've just found an old Friends forum post here may also be helpful to some: http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/s...4&cmd=show

Hi Jon, I think the switch panel I started the thread with is probably the fourth ( and grottiest) one I've rebuilt. I don't remember there being any washers around any part of the knobs, that's not to say they weren't there from the factory. The Lucas metal protective rear cover for the SM5 wiring seems to be a lot rarer than hens' teeth.

The asymmetric wings on the brass wipers provide the 'stop' at the ends of the knobs rotational travel when they're inserted in the right way round/correct side. If you get that wrong on assembly the first time it should be obvious as the 'sweep' will be wrong.
I doubt if the rear protective panel was fitted to SM5 panels destined for Austin 7’s as a cost saving measure.
(12-10-2021, 01:32 PM)Stuart Joseph Wrote: I doubt if the rear protective panel was fitted to SM5 panels destined for Austin 7’s as a cost saving measure.

I think Stuart is correct; these did appear on some cars but not the humble Austin 7.
    Here's one off a very original 1932 RM (yes 1932) I would think it's a nightmare to work on.
(12-10-2021, 02:28 PM)Parazine Wrote:
(12-10-2021, 01:32 PM)Stuart Joseph Wrote: I doubt if the rear protective panel was fitted to SM5 panels destined for Austin 7’s as a cost saving measure.

I think Stuart is correct; these did appear on some cars but not the humble Austin 7.

I don't think there is room for the rear cover between the dashboard and the petrol tank in the early cars.