The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Box of rust
Video 
Hullo! Just wanted some advice on what to do with my big seven, I have wanted a pre war car since I can remember I'm 18 and when I turned 18 my grandfather had saved up some money so with that and some money that had taken me ages to save from my small jobs and buying and selling gramophones I decided to buy my dream car which is a seven.

Long story short as I've pulled the car apart the seller has completely lied to me, the sills are just fiberglass with a whisper of rusty metal, the cars full of filler and needs major work, what should I do with the car?

I'm really quite annoyed and disheartened by all this as I parted with my much loved ford pop that was running to buy this seven too.

Any advice would be good, thanks
It depends whether you bought it from a private seller? Or a registered dealer?

If it's from a private seller, you may have to pay the price of not checking the car over properly yourself.

If it was a registered dealer,  they have to abide by the same rules as modern secondhand car salesmen.

Even in the pre-war car sales world, some dealers have alot better reputation than others.

I have other customers with similar problems, normally with the same trader. That have accepted part refunds for what they have been mis sold.

So if you bought from a trader, go back to them. See if you can sort the problems out.

Tony.
Could you learn to do the work that's needed? It depends what you would find acceptable. The car has a chassis, so things like sills are less structural. There are options for a decent repair, either in metal, or even fibre glass.
Whether you want to get your money back or decide a practical way forward with the car, you could do a lot worse than get some experienced owners to have a look at it and advise. If you put your location on here I suspect people would offer to come and have a socially distanced look see.
Alternatively, have a look at this site and make contact with your local club:

https://www.pwa7c.co.uk/groups.php

Good luck with it, and don't be downhearted, I suspect many on here will have made dodgier buying decisions than yours over the years!
As Colin said, down be downhearted old chap, most of us have bought an old dog at some time and knowing the chassis and running gear on the Big Seven is bullet proof, I would bite the bullet and do the repairs properly.

It’s all steel and panel repairs are pretty straightforward, it will take a bit of work but with help from your local club members, I’m sure you could have a very nice, perfectly practical car together without breaking the bank.
My current 1932 RN saloon was a rot box, others have said why did you bother, but bother I did and during 25 years, we raised a family, moved house 3 times, built 2 garages and restored a 3 ton 1939 Broads sailing cruiser.
We did progress slowly and in the end bought in some help to paint and upholster her in time for my daughter's wedding.
What I am saying is that if you are not in a hurry, anything is achievable, if you are impatient to get her rolling, you have to be almost single minded and set your priorities . I didn't have much in the way of special tools (No MIG or oxy acetylene etc). just a carbon arc braze / welder which most would laugh at now, but it did the job.
Don't be disheartened, it has to get worse before it gets better!
Good luck
Bob
If it goes and stops, enjoy it.

If you start taking it to bits life will get in the way and you may not get back to fix it before the grandchildren come along.

We have all done this, it is easy to buy something that looks good but isn't.

Unless the body is structurally dangerous - and it can be - a Big Seven I bought imploded on the trailer  and was a flat pack by the time I got it home, get the brakes and steering working and go drive it.

Simon
Every restoration has its deepest, blackest moment and it sounds as though you may have got there early. 

Working on Sevens for a living, we see some truly dire examples, but, as has been said, if the chassis is sound it won't be as bad as you think at this moment.

Now is the time to find someone local to you who knows about Sevens an who'll take a look at it with you.  It may well not look half so bad after that.

Here is our current private project.  THIS is bad............

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I would echo what Colin and Ivor have said. My first Seven was a 'dog' when I bought it. I was your age when I did so and I know how disappointing it can be! Fortunately, my employer of the time stepped in and helped me sort it out in time for me to go to college in it that September. And during the time it was a pile of bits in the corner of the workshop I learned a helluva lot.
There are lots of forum users her who would be only to happy to assist - practically if they are close enough to you geographically, and offer encouragement.

There are threads on here where absolute basket case cars have risen from a pile of rusty bits (see Parazine's thread on the restoration of his Top Hat saloon), so "Courage, mon brave"!
What's it going to be Martin? An RP cabriolet or a Tickford.