The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
broken cylinder head stud
(18-11-2017, 09:12 PM)Bob Culver Wrote: Someone on the old website commented that the so called Easy Out was the most inappropriately named tool ever and I fully agree. Primarily intended for bolts or studs broken by tension not torsion and not tight in the bore. A broken hard steel  Easy Out hugely compounds problems and best avoided.

Always worked for me, at least it's worth a try.
I'm with Bob on this one   If the easi-out snaps off you will wish you had never been born , and I speak from bitter experience .
I don't pretend to be a mechanical genius , but if the sheared off bolt or stud is well and truly corroded in , then go down the route of drilling out .

Merv
(18-11-2017, 10:52 PM)orbiter418 Wrote: I'm with Bob on this one   If the easi-out snaps off you will wish you had never been born , and I speak from bitter experience .
I don't pretend to be a mechanical genius , but if the sheared off bolt or stud is well and truly corroded in , then go down the route of drilling out .

Merv

I agree in that if the stud extractor breaks it would be a problem, but bearing in mind that this is a bolt that sheared when tightening, and did not shear when removing due to being rusted in, it should not be too much of a problem. Soak it in wd40,tap with a drift to loosen the thread, drill a hole in the stud and using a GOOD QUALITY stud extractor turn it with enough force to remove the stud.. if you think the extractor is going to break, then by all means use other methods. Speaking purely personally I have never had a stud extractor break on me. Maybe I have just been lucky. Good luck with it. Cheers Burky