The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacing radius arm ball rivets
In the process of replacing the radius arm ball fixing rivets on the centre chassis rail due to excessive movement. 
Can anyone advise what type of bolts to use,  it's been suggested they should be fine thread high tensile steel? 
Is that necessary , does it have a high load point?
Also what size 1/4 w seams a little small.
Just wondering what others would recommend. 
Many thanks
Paul
HT 5/16" BSF (or M8 if you want, nobody will ever see them). I've two cars with the chassis ball fixed this way and a third in production. The Trials Car was set up this way back in the early 1990's and has done, probably, hundreds of trials. Never come loose, never budged. Important thing is for the bolts to be a good fit in the holes. 

Steve
If the heads of the bolts are to the front it makes it easier (possible?) to get the radius arms off if necessary.
Jim
(24-05-2020, 02:15 PM)AustinWood Wrote: If the heads of the bolts are to the front it makes it easier (possible?) to get the radius arms off if necessary.

Definitely. Took them off my Ulster last week with ease (M8 - sorry!)

Steve
I use M8 button head socket screws with M8 flange nuts makes it very secure. Terry
Apart from holding on mudguards and the like there is lttle place for basic grade bolts in cars, if only because easily broken on tightening. By the same token there are few applications where really high tensile is ideal (gudgeon pins, crown wheel). Everyday ht hardware is  about 50%  higher tensile, and the yield point is further increased.
+ 1 for the button heads, they make a nice job of it , use HT not Stainless.