The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nyloc Big End nuts
never had a problem with nylocs.

what i would recommend though, dont just buy standard 1D depth nylocs. as its hard to get a spanner or socket on.

go for 1 1/2D the heads are deeper.

with castle nuts, the modern day supply tend to be smaller on allowance for the slit pins. i dont like that.

so if i were to use castle nuts, and i have no problem with that. i think id only us original USED ones?

tony
I agree with Alan's friend.

That's not to say self-locking nuts aren't secure, only that they work in the same way that plain nuts do. It's not the insert that keeps them done up.

The 'locking' feature, if it works at all, will only come into play when the joint has technically already failed, at best it may provide some damage limitation.

At worst, nuts which use heavy friction between the nut and bolt cannot be accurately torqued down due to variations in this friction, which positively undermines the integrity of the joint. Nylocs are probably the least susceptible to this and thus my self-locking nut of choice.

I can't speak for the entire motor industry but my own employer is particularly fussy about bolted joints and doesn't use self locking nuts in any critical joint - plain nut and carefully established tightening torque every time.