The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jump start
I have used the Colin Wilks (above)system. On the RM, it is simple. 12v battery in the passenger footwell. Disconnect the 6v battery from the starter solenoid and connect a stout cable from the 12v battery in its place, and connect the other 12v terminal to earth observing polarity. The disconnected 6v terminal should then be connected to the cutout box to maintain the 6v charging circuit, (if you don't already have a separate wire from the battery).
Bonus is extra fast starter - easier starting.
I read with interest the last two entries and the use of “Optimate” battery chargers. Is this a brand name or type of charger. I have a GYS BAtIUM 7/20 fitted with intelligent micro processor 15/150 amps. This is a dual voltage charger 6 and 12 volts. One difference it has from other battery chargers I have owned is that you do not set the charge rate you want instead you select the amp/hour capacity of the battery (these are in range bands on the charger) The makers state that it can charge A battery quicker and more safely than older types of chargers by constantly monitoring the batteries charge state and modifying the charge rate accordingly. It automatically switches off once the battery is fully charged. When first switched on and connected to the battery the charger analyses the battery for a few minutes before the charging starts. I am not at all good with electrical things as no doubts regular readers of the forum have realised so can any member with more knowledge than me tell me. Is what I have got a “Optimate type charger.
I bought the charger in the Netherlands and it was expensive around £85.00 six years ago. It was the only 6 volt one they had and my Ruby had developed charging problems. Not so expensive as it got us home.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
An Optimate is a brand of "smart charger"
These analyse the state of your battery, charge to see if to is functioning correctly and then delivers a regulated load to fully charged state. If you leave your battery connected to it it will continue this process as necessary and the theory is that it keeps your battery in optimum state of charge and condition. I think....
A few years ago I bought a "super" battery pack which I keep in the car. It's a lithium type small battery which will start a dirty great Scammel truck if needs be. It weighs less than a kilo, comes in a small case, has adaptors and leads for every eventuality and while it wasn't exactly cheap it has proved itself to be invaluable in many a tight spot.
I check it every now and again to see that it is fully charged. Highly recommended
Thank you Duncan from how you describe the “Optimate” It is clear I have a smart charger.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.