The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peugeot Quadrilette
At secondary school the headmaster brow beat me into taking French, allegedly in my interest although actually to balance class sizes. If he had told me it would assist to read vintage Peugeot adverts I would have been won over without resistance.
If having ventured momentanement @ 2200 tours and 47 kph in top, or much less in 2nd, a Seven buzzed past at a sustained 3,500 to 4,000 it must have been humilitating, although the reduced tax would have compensated in part. Perhaps the cranks lasted longer. 
I note that as with the BSA car the ball race is to rear.
I am not quite sure what the carburettor does but it may be applicable to Covid

And as for the ladies camping overnight, nowadays they would need to man the searchlight throughout, if only to stop the car being stolen.
(17-05-2020, 11:30 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Renauld, I think I am correct in thinking that the Type 172 with side-by-side seating was introduced in 1923, so any influence on the Seven would have been from the earlier tandem-seated Type 161 (and the pre-war Bébé, of course).
Mike I really believe you are much more informed than I am. Beeing french doesn't unfortunately make me an expert on Peugeots!

(18-05-2020, 07:28 AM)Bob Culver Wrote: At secondary school the headmaster brow beat me into taking French, allegedly in my interest although actually to balance class sizes. If he had told me it would assist to read vintage Peugeot adverts I would have been won over without resistance.
If having ventured momentanement @ 2200 tours and 47 kph in top, or much less in 2nd, a Seven buzzed past at a sustained 3,500 to 4,000 it must have been humilitating, although the reduced tax would have compensated in part. Perhaps the cranks lasted longer. 
I note that as with the BSA car the ball race is to rear.
I am not quite sure what the carburettor does but it may be applicable to Covid

And as for the ladies camping overnight, nowadays they would need to man the searchlight throughout, if only to stop the car being stolen.
Myself I took english with pleasure. The alternative was german which was not mouth-watering...
And your carburettor remark passed far over my head Bob!
I note that as with many Fords the car steers the near side stub first. With transverse springing and no Panhard rod would expect this to be even more wayward on corners then the Seven layout. Loks like the steering was very high geared.
(English in France somewhat more useful than French down under. Over the years students have been exhorted to learn Latin, French, Russian, Japanese, Mandarin but instead of trying to pick winners in the real world we have now opted primarily for plugging the local pre European stone age lingo)
Over the years students have been exhorted to learn Latin, French, Russian, Japanese, Mandarin but instead of trying to pick winners in the real world we have now opted primarily for plugging the local pre European stone age lingo)

But of course, the politicians always know best what's for you (but I bet their kids are tucked away in a superior, private school, just as they are here).
I've several business contacts in France and am always astonished by their wonderful command of English. Two of my grandchildren are bilingual and it's always amusing to watch them with a group of friends having rapid-fire discussions alternating without hesitation between French and English.
The construction of the car detailed seems very robust. The flywheel is massive. The double row ball races seem overkill but ratings were much lower then.
I am not sure if an amortisseur is before my nose, under my bottom, or connected to a pedal or lever, but as it does not have one, no worry. Quite commonly on the Forum cars seem to marche inferieure a l'allure normale. Whilst others are quite the opposite. The angle of the diff worm is remarkable. Reminded me that many 403 diffs were ruined by EP oil, which suggests a reaction with bronze in extreme conditons.
Thanks Renaud, very intriguing.
All worm drives need viscosity, viscosity and viscosity.
On the subject of languages (acknowledging and apologising for thread drift) the real winner of international language *is* English. It is the international language of business. As a student of French for the last 25 years (and the next, should I live that long) I've always had grudging envy for those people whose first language is not English, if they are going to learn another language, their choice can be quite straightforward. For us, the choice is far more tricky - French, German, Italian, Spanish? Chances are, the majority of us would only ever attempt to learn one...
Hi Hugh

I envy those children who grow up speaking two languages.  We sent our children to Welsh schools and although we had to move out of Wales (with my job) before they were really established speakers the eldest now speaks Welsh and Italian in addition to English. Our grandson aged 10 now speaks English and Italian fluently.

It seems that a grasp of languages early on in life makes adding more to your repertoire that much easier.

Cheers

Howard

PS Also sorry for thread drift  Cool.
(19-05-2020, 08:50 AM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi Hugh

I envy those children who grow up speaking two languages.  We sent our children to Welsh schools and although we had to move out of Wales (with my job) before they were really established speakers the eldest now speaks Welsh and Italian in addition to English. Our grandson aged 10 now speaks English and Italian fluently.

It seems that a grasp of languages early on in life makes adding more to your repertoire that much easier.

Cheers

Howard

PS Also sorry for thread drift  Cool.
Don't be sorry Howard! I'm rather as interested in languages myself as I'm in old cars! I absolutely agree with your assertion that early, or indeed very early, learning of two languages seems to "tune" the children mind for late learning of more.
I'm lightly gifted myself for languages though I did not benefit from such an early multi training but, hell, how difficult it is when not young!
(Also sorry then! Don't start me on languages...)
The photograph is of a 5CV Quadrilette G.S. Type 172BS, Spider.  Only around 100 examples were made in 1924.
The engine was uprated from the standard 4CV 667  sq.cm to 720 sq.cm, capable of giving a heady 65 km/h against the standard 60 km/h.
The price of 11,000F was 1,100F more than the standard car.
Options on lighting were either electric or acetylene.

Around twenty years ago I had the opportunity to drive a '22 Type 161E Quadrilette. Not a pleasant experience, slow and with the high C of G and narrow track, it felt unstable. You wouldn't want to sling it around like you could a Seven.