The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chassis drawings
Hi,

I am trying to understand when the horizontal angle of the steering box changed and what the angles where.

Does anyone know where I can get dimensioned works chassis drawings for the later cars I have a vintage drawing and the Ulster and nippy drawings.

Thanks
They are available on line the Clubs Association site has them I believe and I have a feeling the Jon Edgar has then on his Nippy/65 site. As I typed this I see you have the both the early sports chassis and the Nippy drawings, what others are you after? there weren't any that I am aware of???
Black Art Enthusiast
Hi Leaf

Steering angles were covered in detail in a thread on the old forum.  I can’t seem to post the thread address here but if you put this in a Google I’m sure you will find it.

Austin Seven “STEERING BOX ANGLES, NYLOKS & SIMILAR”

Cheers

Howard
According to the cardex files, 1A6025 has a rake of 49 degrees, while XL896 was 49 1/2 degrees. 1A6041 is the Austin "Sports" box ( (Supersports?) and is raked at 41 degrees. 1A6042 is the "Brooklands" sports and is 37 1/2 degrees. 

The later box rakes are not specified but apparently, the Box Saloon type has a difference in the lateral angle as well. I fitted a Box saloon type to my chummy and it was a struggle to fit  (angle of rake seemed to be more than the original) and the column is displaced towards the centre of the car, not by much but enough to notice (if you're a perfectionist!)
(10-05-2020, 02:35 PM)Parazine Wrote: According to the cardex files, 1A6025 has a rake of 49 degrees, while XL896 was 49 1/2 degrees. 1A6041 is the Austin "Sports" box ( (Supersports?) and is raked at 41 degrees. 1A6042 is the "Brooklands" sports and is 37 1/2 degrees. 

The later box rakes are not specified but apparently, the Box Saloon type has a difference in the lateral angle as well. I fitted a Box saloon type to my chummy and it was a struggle to fit  (angle of rake seemed to be more than the original) and the column is displaced towards the centre of the car, not by much but enough to notice (if you're a perfectionist!)

1A6041 is the 41 degree "Sports" box but it's not the Supersports box. That box is 9C102 at  35 or 37 1/2 degrees.

Link to the thread on the old forum....   

http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/s...4&cmd=show
I am interested in the lateral angles on the box saloon vs the standard ones. I have also discovered I have one steering column that is shorter by about 40mm and has no shatters but does have a standard aluminium box. Could it be a ruby column?

Thanks

David
(10-05-2020, 06:29 PM)leaf200 Wrote: I am interested in the lateral angles on the box saloon vs the standard ones. I have also discovered I have one steering column that is shorter by about 40mm and has no shatters but does have a standard aluminium box. Could it be a ruby column?

Thanks

David

Well, the Box Saloon steering box has displaced the column by about 1/2" to 3/4" toward the centre of the car in my case and the rake angle was also suspect.

You can tell a Ruby box because it has the clamp at the bottom to hold the centre horn push/trafficator switch long rod, while the earlier types have a large nut with a tube soldered into the centre to take the concentric control tubes. However, I think the Ruby type column is near or at standard length.....

Sometimes special builders shortened standard columns; the only standard cars to use a short column are the deep dish steering wheel types (1923-28) but these use a smooth, clamp fitting for the wheel rather than splines.
I have attached a picture to show the short column

Attached Files
.jpeg   EB8AE82D-3689-4CE7-AA20-3F7A0EC7A4F0.jpeg (Size: 27.92 KB / Downloads: 185)
.jpeg   BC9FB3E2-511B-443C-BC2C-A8BB6BCE8135.jpeg (Size: 28.58 KB / Downloads: 185)
Can you let us know what the lengths of the three inner columns are?
The lengths are bellow the brackets is length up to the worm.
Chummy - 698mm (655mm)
Long splined - 763mm (723mm)
Short splined - 725mm (682mm)

Hope that helps

Thanks

David