The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Petrol
No rumour 39Jet, it was definitely a thing. Not just hoses either, but also (mechanical) petrol pump diaphragms.
Could get real messy with the alternative fuel (LPG/CNG) conversions, where the liquid fuel could be merrily leaking all over the engine bay while the blissfully unaware owner was driving on the alternative fuel.
My recollection is that the issue was with the make up of the product where the fuel was being sourced, from (?) Indonesia I think, rather than what was added.
Even smelt different.
Re the benzine/benzene thing, benzene is the carcinogenic chemical, benzine is a motor fuel.
Benzine/petrol seems to be an age thing, in my family circle everyone born before say 1930 called it benzine, everyone born after called it 'petrol', or 'gas'. I've always thought it was because in the early days "Petrol" was an exclusive trade name of a particular brand of Motor Spirit marketed by a particular company and later became the generic name.
Never had any trouble with it myself. Angel

I do have a regime for the winter layup which seems applies to this summer so far.
Fill all the tanks up full and put Millers "tank safe" in, allow it to run through the fuel system.
Makes some sense to me,  if tanks are left with a small amount of fuel then there is a lot of air in the tank which has a proportion of water vapour content.
The ethanol in the fuel absorbs water which changes the fuel composition and allows the tank to rust.
Thats my thinking anyway !
Never had any trouble with stale petrol but I always use the super unleaded (Tesco Momentum currently).  Like Alan, I turn the petrol off at the tap and let the engine idle until it runs dry.
Perhaps running on 12 volts helps, if the engine is really spinning round it must encourage it to fire up?
Like Nick and Malcolm, I've never had an trouble with stale petrol (touch wood!). The petrol in my SWB Saloon is Esso Super Unleaded from Bawtry last September and the car fires up no problem. I do, however, always let the carb run dry when I put the car away. When I had the Chummy that Ian McGowan now owns, whatever I did it always suffered a blocked jet within the first 10 miles of its first journey after a winter lay up. Bronze 22 FZ carb. Tried all sorts but it was only when I started letting the carb run dry before laying the car up that the problem stopped.

Steve
I know several drivers who adhere to the "stale petrol" theory. Undoubtably they have had trouble restarting after the winter layup and refreshing the petrol seems to solve their problem(s) - whatever they are.

However, for the last 15 years I have run my three cars on Morrisons Best No-Star Unleaded, which I leave in the tank over winter, draining the radiators at the end of September, or thereabouts and refilling them during March. So far I have never had one fail to fire, without difficulty, other than the occaisional flat battery.

As regards housing, they all sit happily in unheated garages, covered in dust-sheets.
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
I have experienced no problem with six month old petrol, but I did have a problem with a car that had been inactive for eighteen months. It would start up easily enough, and idle smoothly, but at anything more than a light throttle under load it would misfire and die. I initially thought it was dirt in the system, and thoroughly cleaned everywhere without any improvement. I then turned my attention to the electrics, and suspected the condenser; since it is a rare car in the UK I consulted the Green Spark Plug Company for advice and Tim Green immediately diagnosed stale fuel, and suggested a cure was a new set of spark plugs. I doubted the diagnosis, but tried the solution anyway, and with fresh petrol and the new plugs have experienced no further problems. Tim said that the rich mixture of stale fuel on start-up coats the plugs with a varnish which does not respond to any normal means of removal (although he did say that someone had suggested domestic oven cleaner - neither he nor I have tried it so cannot comment further on that idea).
(08-05-2020, 02:33 PM)Steve Jones Wrote: Like Nick and Malcolm, I've never had an trouble with stale petrol (touch wood!). The petrol in my SWB Saloon is Esso Super Unleaded from Bawtry last September and the car fires up no problem. I do, however, always let the carb run dry when I put the car away. When I had the Chummy that Ian McGowan now owns, whatever I did it always suffered a blocked jet within the first 10 miles of its first journey after a winter lay up. Bronze 22 FZ carb. Tried all sorts but it was only when I started letting the carb run dry before laying the car up that the problem stopped. 

Steve
I cured the blocked jet problem with the chummy permanently, Steve, when I fitted the SU OM carb. Smile
I'm not sure the problem with "varnish" on the plugs only happens with stale fuel.
I was led to believe that with modern cars the ecu will ensure that the mixture never gets over rich so the plug manufacturers now save a farthing or two by not applying a ceramic coating to the internal plug insulator. However if we over use the choke and flood the engine then the plugs varnish up.