The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
My COVID-19 project
Tom, I'm taking it easy tomorrow. I have to get Henry the hoover out and restore the kitchen!
I might be looking for another indoor project next week though if things don't change. I'll have another look at pics of the Campbell car but it would be guess work, there are no drawings that I know of.
I used info from all sorts of places for the body of this model, patterns, tracings and measurements from VE, patterns, tracings and measurements from GW and lots of info from Gordon in Canada and of course dimensions of our own body.
I'm confident that it's pretty accurate but the next stage will be to build the front floor and bulkhead full size in plywood on an early 1931 chassis.
I love a bit of CAD
Very beautiful. Is the woodwork all self-laminated balsa, and then carved/whittled - or?
How many hours do you think has gone into the 1/4 scale reproduction, out of interest? That deserves to sit in a motor museum somewhere for posterity, once its use has been fulfilled.
Henry. I am seriously impressed at the finished model. And envious of your drafting and model making skills!Absolutely superb!
What a fantastic, utterly cosmically great project.
Please do the real thing and share it. 
You are clearly very talented.
JonE,
all the materials are what were at hand in my flat.
Most of the model is mounting card, foam board and cartridge paper glued with UHU and Gorilla glue
As for wood, the chassis is balsa strip with a nosepiece from 1/4" birch ply. The steering wheel is 1/16" aero ply.
The cylinder block is a sandwich of 3 layers of 1/4" birch ply, the top layer also being part of the exhaust.
The exhaust is a mixture of ply, off-cuts of a Sherry box, some balsa fillets and some Tetrion filler tinted with acrylic paint. 
All hand tools, mainly a scalpel with 10A blade, steel straight edge, piercing saw with fine and not so fine blades and some fine abrasive paper.
What a fantastic project, the model looks very nice.

There were two photographs of the Birkett car on eBay the other week but they were removed. Link to the eBay listing

Were all of the TT car floorpans similar? I thought VE was a standard production Ulster rather than TT or is the difference simply one of a narrower width, out of interest what is the width of a TT at its widest? Is the Canadian car and this body the only original TT bodies surviving (that are known of course)?
That fishtail is awesome!
I'm confident you've done your homework Henry. I would offer the observation that the 1930 Irish TT car (I confused the two at first) had some reinforcing plates inside the tail structure, coincidentally rather like the ones I ended up putting in my Ulster rep. These and similar bodies definitely suffer at the stress concentration points over the axle and where the screen and dash join to the body. Whether you think such additions necessary would I guess depend on how you plan to use the car. Just thought I'd mention as I found out the hard way!
It already has the (steel) reinforcing plates, it looks like they have been with the body for a long time as well.

An un-elegant solution to the problem, they are surprisingly heavy compared to the rest of the body.