The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Campbell Austin
By Jove I think you have it- the rear assembly would require a centering peg through those strange front holes when the front disc is held on by the plated nut.

I understand the discs were removed after a few test runs.
If I have got it correct, the tripod thingy must be removable but tensioned against the wheel centre, yet seems to be just twisted wire. All has to be accurately centred, repeatable and secure to obtain and retain balance, hence the drilling. At 100 mph in a Seven would have enough else to worry about without a disc possibly flailing loose.
It may even be a small bolt passes from the inside to secure the small central disc before attaching the rear disk with the three struts... but there is definitely no need for a captive nut.
I reckon Nick is right. That hole certainly isn't going to do a lot for brake cooling!
This thread didn't come up when I searched for things linking to the Charles Goodacre quote here: https://ulster7.wordpress.com/2021/01/18...l-daytona/

The film link doesn't work for me, but it appears to be on the second row in this one. Not sure if its the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZDkhvvKo3w
Had a feeling this hole business has come up before on the Friends site.  Doubt all the previous theories (especially  the racing or sports connection) except perhaps the stacking idea.  Have come across dozens of drilled wheels over the years - too many to have any competition connection?   Cheers,  Bill in Oz
I would think that many wheel centres were drilled to take the dummy 'knock-on' aluminium spinners.
(19-01-2021, 12:40 AM)Bill Sheehan Wrote: Had a feeling this hole business has come up before on the Friends site.  Doubt all the previous theories (especially  the racing or sports connection) except perhaps the stacking idea.  Have come across dozens of drilled wheels over the years - too many to have any competition connection?   Cheers,  Bill in Oz
The original discussion was around holes in wheels for Campbell's Austin Seven.  I have no doubt all the many Bill mentions were for mock knock offs.
(19-01-2021, 09:54 PM)Tony Press Wrote:
(19-01-2021, 12:40 AM)Bill Sheehan Wrote: Had a feeling this hole business has come up before on the Friends site.  Doubt all the previous theories (especially  the racing or sports connection) except perhaps the stacking idea.  Have come across dozens of drilled wheels over the years - too many to have any competition connection?   Cheers,  Bill in Oz
The original discussion was around holes in wheels for Campbell's Austin Seven.  I have no doubt all the many Bill mentions were for mock knock offs.
The original discussion was not about fekkin holes in wheels.

It was/is about the Waite/Campbell Austin.

To get this thread back on track here is a grainy screen grab of George Weaver in the Campbell car in a 1939 or 1940 ARCA race. 

He is now running export wheels all round. 

At Alexandria in 1938, original 19 inch wheels and tyres on the front and export on the back.

Montauk 1939.

Regards,

Stuart