The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steering Box Question
Delightfully candid comments above from persons who know! I have followed Sevens in Club runs and thay do dart about! I had driven mine in all the main centres here but when I came to Auckland in late 1960s found it rather daunting. A lot of traffic far exceeded the 30 mph limit and the then wide lanes encouraged them to shave past. In a Seven you need flying space. The now universal obeyance of enforced speed limit and designated lanes, and lights and Stop signs on side roads, has actually made driving oldies easier.
A great many on this site have developed the curious reflexes required to pilot a Seven and often cannot understand other's difficuties.
Wow Chaps!  What a response.

All of this is most helpful, in particular the article on overhauling the box.

The first thing to reiterate is that the picture is not of my car :-(.  Our Seven is a much less radical Special, but lovely for that.  I will post some pics when I can get it out of the garage again on a nice day.

I would also say that I have no prior experience of driving Sevens.  The keenest steering I regularly experience s a '72 Porsche 911.  That car is amazing, but anywhere over 90 it becomes pretty intimidating, particularly where there are crosswinds.  I do expect a car from the 30's to be an altogether different experience and was not expecting perfection, but I do feel that something is amiss with ours.  My Dad drove many Sevens for the first 10 years of his driving career and he remarked this felt wayward.

I will need to strip down a little in order to get to the box and then have a proper look at it.

I will report back and also post some pictures when I have a moment.  Lock-down means I can now actually take time away from the office at the weekends and it is that which got me this far - starting the car for the first time in perhaps 8 years.  How time flies when you get distracted with life!
As mentioned King Pin Caster is very important in getting a halfway decent directional stability.
My Austin 7 behaved in very much the same way as described. The tracking was well out - about half an inch toe out! Once that had been corrected it was like driving a different car, you could actually look at the scenery rather than hanging on like grim death.

Just a thought.

Michael
AS I think I have said before in other threads: Provided that the front suspension and steering gear is in good condition and free from any excess play or movement, Austin Sevens behave themselves very well on the road for a beam axled car.

There are caveats to this, though:-
1. The more perpendicular models are badly affected by crosswinds
2. Tyre pressures are fairly critical. 24 to 26 lbs/sq.in. seem to be about right, depending on what tyres you have fitted. too high a pressure and the car is all over the road like a frightened bunny.
3. The steering is very direct, so you do not want a lot of free play at the steering wheel. Mine is adjusted to give about an inch free play at the steering wheel rim, which seems about right.