The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Historic Picture
Duncan  the book is titled 'Motoring the Golden years'  ISBN 1-85501-463-7
and is a catalogue of art works sourced from the Khachadourian Gallery in PallMall in 1994
Thanks Squeak, I'll see if I can track one down
(04-05-2020, 10:26 PM)squeak Wrote: Duncan  the book is titled 'Motoring the Golden years'  ISBN 1-85501-463-7
and is a catalogue of art works sourced from the Khachadourian Gallery in PallMall in 1994

A similar book is 'Vintage Advertising Old Automobiles' by Norman Clark from Mosaic Publishing - cannot find an ISBN.

The only date I can find is 2009.

530 pages of brilliant full colour advertisements and posters from Veteran to Post War.

I cannot find Tony's book, but there are lots of Russel's book for not a lot of money:

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Searc...5501-463-7
I ordered one last night. Unfortunately it was only after I'd placed my order that the site told me it was a subsidiary of the dreaded Amazon. I closed my account with them six years ago for political reasons and I hang my head in shame that I ended up there if only by mistake!
I'm sure it won't spoil my enjoyment of the book though.
Has somebody some more car books suggestions of that era?

Some of my reads this quarantaine
Minimal Motoring: A History from Cyclecar to Microcar by David Thirlby
De geschiedenis van de belgische auto by Kupelian (also availble in French)
The Evolution of the racing car by Laurence Pomeroy

and some older reads
Motoring in the 20's and 30's by A.D. Demaus
Motor sport in the 20S by A.D. Demaus
Motoring in the 30's Graham Robson
The Legendary Hispano Suiza by Johnnie Green
Amilcar by Gilles Fournier
As well as Thirlby's book there are others on cyclecars:

1. From Cycle car to Microcar, Worthington-Williams.
2. La Publicite pour Les Cyclecars et les Voiturettes, G. Burnat Pierpont.  ( Many little or unheard makes )
3. Cyclecars, an Annotated Index, Stephen Kay.

plus an excellent book on the 750 cc  Becognee, again a little known make.

( apologies for the lack of accents on several of the words - my computer appears to be a literary francophobe!! )
(05-05-2020, 01:29 PM)Chris Garner Wrote: As well as Thirlby's book there are others on cyclecars:

1. From Cycle car to Microcar, Worthington-Williams.
2. La Publicite pour Les Cyclecars et les Voiturettes, G. Burnat Pierpont.  ( Many little or unheard makes )
3. Cyclecars, an Annotated Index, Stephen Kay.

plus an excellent book on the 750 cc  Becognee, again a little known make.

( apologies for the lack of accents on several of the words - my computer appears to be a literary francophobe!! )
I had to chose between Thirlby's book and option 1.
Did you read both? Would it be still intressting to read the Worthington book?
(05-05-2020, 08:39 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: I cannot find Tony's book, but there are lots of Russel's book for not a lot of money:

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Searc...5501-463-7
Here's a link about the book "Vintage Advertising Old Automobiles": https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/books/ol...obiles.htm   ...but the link to the seller, Mosaic Books is dead.   http://mosaicbooks.org
If by some chance a forum user might not yet have a copy of The Annotated Index of Cyclecars on their shelves, send me a PM right away and I will swiftly despatch a copy, post free! Not a ha'penny to Amazon so fear not.

Copies of Brian Demaus's books are very hard to find. Robert and Jacky have his vast archive to deal with, a treasure trove that will need much work. If anyone has a spare copy of "Motor sport in the 20s" I will happily swap if for other arcane volumes, tyre levers marked Dunlop, or even drinking vouchers posted in a brown envelope.

As for artistic licence, at first glance the tennis playing lad might be standing next to the Beast of Turin, rather than a cyclecar.