The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FALSE DOOR
Would just like your thoughts please.
My special body appears to have provision for a  door on the N/S behind the exhaust,  no provision on the drivers side.
Why would this be, its not logical, why would anyone manufacture a body in this way.
Any ideas. 
Many thanks
Paul

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Presumably when it was first built it didn't have an outside exhaust. The owner/builder was probably happy enough to climb over the side, whereas the memsahib required easier access.
One of those Oh Sh..t moments of realisation !
Hi Paul

I’m a mere whippersnapper compared to some others on the forum but, in my late sixties, I found jumping in and out of my previous special beginning to get hard work.  Liz found it almost impossible and insisted we bought the RK.  So my current special build has doors.  And aren’t they useful during the build! Wouldn’t a door have been useful as you investigated the accelerator pedal?

Having a single door on the near side was quite common amongst coach built cars in the 20s and 30s. At least you don’t have a door to swing open into passing traffic ?.

Cheers

Howard
Hi Howard
Yes a door would have been really useful with my problematic pedals, now sorted thanks to your advise
Relocated the throttle linkage to the bulkhead as you suggested, which enabled me to fit a Ruby pedal and  new throttle pedal. For some reason the old accelerator never quite gave full throttle, adjusted correctly now and working fine.
Doors would have been a real bonus when working under the dash, you almost feel the need to phone the chiropractor before starting work.

I was told when I purchased the car the body was fitted prewar something I was a little dubious of but perhaps that may be so, I've tried to track down the manufacturer without success.
Thanks again.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi Paul

That footwell and pedal set up looks much better.

Cheers

Howard
My dad had an Austin Seven with the back of the body the same shape as this ( early 1960,s ) it was pale blue as well.
It would have had normal seats and a small space behind with enough room for two small children and a proper windscreen and exhaust system.

Is it possible that your car has had a change of registration number in the past.
My Dad had a 'Chummy' body built with only one door, on the passenger side.
The chap who built the body insisted on making the wooden frame in such a way that a door could easily be added later - though my father never did I suspect a subsequent owner may have.
As far as I know registration is the original one?
The special I built in the late seventies had a door on the nearside and a 'Le Mans' type cutout on the offside, as I had a side mounted spare. It also had a hood and sidescreens (made by my mother!). When the weather equipment was up, the only way into the car was through the nearside door. I was more nimble in those days.......