The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
weight of Block and Weight of Head
Does anyone have a block and a head which they mind weighing? I want to arrange to have one of each collected from a machine shop and need to separate weights to arrange collection. 

Thank you if anyone can help.

Jamie.
Is the block totally stripped, no cam follower guides etc?
Fully stripped block is about 10kg, head is under 5 kg.
Thank you, Ruairidh.

It is fully stripped.

Jamie.
I always err on the side of caution with weights and dimensions for couriers.
I got caught out with Parcel2go recently. They have changed the quote page to add a box that asks if your parcel is greater than length 1m. Mine wasn't, so I ignored it. Got offered what appeared to be some default pricing based on weight for my parcel and thought no more of it, booked and sent it off. A day later, I was penalised for having sent an oversize parcel - which wasn't apparent when I booked. Now, I always check the >1m box which allows me then to enter the specific dimensions and avoid the problem...
For what it's worth, make sure they are properly packed/ crated.
Cast iron is brittle and a block can break in two if dropped / thrown.
Learned the hard way (or more accurately, I already knew, but the person I hand-carried it to decided to post it back in a cardboard box).
I ship blocks and head regularly and pack them surrounded by polystyrene sheets that are about 1-2" thick.

Always pack with an expectation for them to be dropped from a 6' height, because they most likely will be.