The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cant remove torque tube from diff housing
Hi all

I can’t lift the torque tube out of the diff casing 

Any thoughts?

Geoff

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The pre Ruby diff has a ball pinion race (fittable to all) whcih may be a neat fit (or Loctited) in the housing, so requires moderate persuasion. (from distant memory the roller bearings had some setscrew arrangemnt to retain the outer ring. I dunno if this can be fitted with a ball race but if so would prevent withdrawal.)
(Just noticed 1938 so unlikely, unless a non standard roller with stepped outer fitted)
It looks as though you would get two levers in on opposite sides; if it was mine I would use two long tyre levers, but you do need to have two long tyre levers. Mine have tapered ends with convenient slight bends in them.
Robert leigh
Sometimes they slip out easily, sometimes the need persuasion. A couple of tyre levers as above normally defeats the latter.

Steve
Thanks all.  I’ll try that tomorrow.  Cheers Geoff
Thanks all.  I’ll try that tomorrow.  Cheers Geoff

I popped out to the garage before bed and got it this far with levers and then tried two bolts to work as pullers, but got to a stage where it would not move again.

Do you think I will be able to get the diff centre out now without going any further?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Erm .... (Asking the rest of the Forum, because I can't remember) Does the bearing housing have to come out, too, with the torque tube? 

In which case, you need to be working on that - the middle layer between the bit you have already moved, and the main diff housing.

If not, I would put some diesel or other thin lubricant onto the bearing outers, and work the whole thing back and forth for quite a long time to free it off.

Then try pulling again.
I have been looking at pictures of dismantled diffs on the internet and I think you are right. I need to separate that joint.

Will try tomorrow 

Cheers
The diff will come out with the pinion in place.
Jim
(26-04-2020, 06:33 PM)AustinWood Wrote: The diff will come out with the pinion in place.
Thank you.  I was looking at it last night and thought that might be the case. 

Cheers

Geoff