The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steering column wedge - problems with the sterring arm going over...
In the past I've welded two cut down tubes with a 3" scarf join to the required length. If I was to need another I'd nowadays make new.
Thanks Henry

Howard
I'm following this with interest, as I have exactly the same problem as Ruairidh. Lengthening the draglink looked like the best solution. I was considering cutting and sleeving it, perhaps internally and externally, to add another inch.
With a Canbridge wedge I didn't have an over the top problem until I cut off some of the lumps on the track rod arms - which are the stops.

So, if you have an OTT problem, can you not just add a little to these lumps?

My wedge has a vertical strip welded to it, drilled for a bolt to go through the original brake pivot hole in the chassis (you need a big washer too, it is a big hole), which gives you back the three pont mounting.
You can add metal to the lumps ( stops ).

But then you will have a 3 mile turning radius.

When I built my first ulster rep, I used an ALR wedge. It was so long ago i bought if of Alan himself at a show.

I cut as far as I could into the rubber mounted foot on the engine, and mounted the wedge as far forward as I could, it worked fine on a standard draglink.

Tony.
(25-04-2020, 03:11 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: You can add metal to the lumps ( stops ).

But then you will have a 3 mile turning radius....
What does it mean in detail? What are lumps and where are they located? I need a small correction of turning radius because the front brake cables touch the tires (4,50-4,75 16") a little bit in endposition.
The 'lumps' (or lock stops) on the track rod arms.  Reference numbers BM 91 and BM 92.....

Thank you Henry for that explanation!
For both of my specials I bought replacement castings made to a reduced angle. They seem to work without problems and it's an easy fix for the centre position of the brake pedal. Perhaps not the cheapest solution but effective...