The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reducing oil consumption using a lightweight drill
Reducing oil consumption using a lightweight drill... to bore holes through the piston ring grooves...

Attached Files
.jpg   drill.jpg (Size: 695.33 KB / Downloads: 435)
It does make a very elementary task appear complex. it was common to turn a relief and drill drain holes below the loil ring. A releif below the compr ring not ideal as the leakage space is the gap times depth. A very slight chamfer on the top edges of oil rings, discontinued at the gap, another common practice. In the days when a wear step rapidly formed, not ideal with the top ring.
health and safety, I hope he didn't drill his fingers.
It’s ok. Health and safety wasn’t invented until 1992
Alan Fairless
(24-04-2020, 09:12 AM)Dave Mann Wrote: health and safety, I hope he didn't drill his fingers.
My immediate thought, too. He'd have been better off a compound table and some sort of indexing fixture; still, at least he's not doing it freehand with a Black & Decker in one hand and the job in the other.
I believe he was trained by Stuart Palmer!!!

It is a task best done with a handrill where have good control.
long long ago when I was just a junior bodger I had a brand new set of old stock pistons and a newly bored block , when I ran this engine it oiled the plugs in an instant . I took that engine apart many times before I gave up trying to run it with those pistons and just put them on the shelf many years latter having read a sentence in an old motor engineering book I took off the bottom oil ring and counted how many oil return holes there were and there were just five , a quick check of all my other old pistons and most of those had ten holes behind the bottom oil ring.I soon gave those pistons an extra five holes and put them back into an an engine they ran fine and all oiled plug problems went away regards to all Rob.