The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REMOTE OIL FILTER. nippy engine bay
It's worth putting a magnet in the sump plug to pick up any metal particles.
Austin, strange you should say that I have a large powerful 4" circular magnet attached to the sump. I will take a picture and post when I remove the sump plate to see how effective the magnet has been.
Regards Rob
I have used modern multi-grades from various sources and grades (10/40 & 20/50 etc) as long as I have had the car (1971). Never had any problems due to this that I am aware of.
I now use a semi-synthetic 5/30 which seems to work very well. I might consider using a zinc additive too but am not sure the Austin engine really needs it.
Jim
The cam followers would benefit from it
RPM,
I would advise against using a modern multi grade oil,IF, you don’t know the provenance of the engine. Carbon and sludge maybe what is keeping your engine running. Ok if it is a run in fairly recent rebuild then yes use modern oils , I use Halfords Classic 20/50.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
I know my engine is clean internally. I rebuilt it with a Phoenix crank about 10,000 miles ago and had it in pieces recently to fix oil leaks that had developed.
I was using straight 30 and had been thinking of looking for 5/30 for some time. I think keeping to the specified viscosity, ie 30, is a good idea and the 5/30 means that the oil pressure when cold is much lower. I also seem to have an improvement in performance, which I think may be down to modern oil technology.
I don't have a camshaft to hand and don't know what the lift is on a standard cam. However it is a slow revving engine so less of an issue.
I have a Citroen SM which has aggressive cams on flat bucket tappets. It is also high-revving for 1970. Zinc is essential and good used cams are very rare.
In the 1960's I used Castrol XL because I liked the smell. Some of the cheap oils smelt dreadful!
Jim