The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Centre cam bearing repair
Does anyone have experience of having this journal repaired by welding?
If so aside from needing the centre cam bearing line bored did the welding cause any other distortion?

Thanks

Charles
Yes and no it didn't.

In my case it was a crack and we chose to keep the ring in place whilst welding and line boring was not required.

It has been in hard service for a number of years now, over many thousands of miles. No issues.
(20-04-2020, 05:21 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Yes and no it didn't.

In my case it was a crack and we chose to keep the ring in place whilst welding and line boring was not required. 

It has been in hard service for a number of years now, over many thousands of miles.  No issues.

Thanks - that's good to hear. I've seen quite a few crankcases with this repair so figured it's not a stopper.
I just need to find a decent welder somewhere near me to tackle the problem when we emerge from our caves again.

c
Hi Charles, if choosing to weld with a ring in, I would turn up a ring in brass dimensionally the same as 
the steel ring and use that. Unless the crankcase is special in some way probably easier to get another crankcase.