The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steering box overhaul
Hi Hello forum readers,  I am in the process of overhauling my Mk1 Ruby’s steering box as per the article on the Cornwall Austin Seven Site. I am now at the re assemble stage having thoroughly cleaned out the valve grinding paste and making sure everything moves smoothly without any play and not tight. However when I re assemble the steering arm into the end plate with a new felt oil seal washer it becomes tight to turn in the bush.It must be the felt washer as it moves freely when assembled without it.  What am I doing wrong ? I assume and hope it will be something simple.  I did consider assembling without it as I fill the box with GP grease and not oil.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
I suspect that the felt seal is the wrong size John.
Not sure where you obtained it, but if you find that this is the problem, I might be able to find you one the correct size.
You do need a seal or you will always have a greasy mess.
I too have just fitted a new felt seal, I soaked it in glycerin first and when fitted it was very stiff to turn, but working the arm back & forth a few times it now turns freely. It needs resistance to keep the oil in! Don't forget that you are comparing a brand new seal with one that is nearly 90 years old, how many times has the shaft turned in its lifetime?

The steering box was designed for oil, and this lubricates the drop arm shaft as well the bearing & bush, can you be sure that using grease will properly lube these places?