The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nothing to do with Austin Sevens - but...
(19-04-2020, 05:19 PM)John Cornfort Wrote: That mirror lid TV would have been eye-wateringly expensive in its day.  A very few survive which are nowadays worth thousands of pounds.
Around £7000 in today's money I believe. Mind you, have you seen the price of some top-class units today? £10,000 anyone?
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-hom...lsrc=aw.ds
For decades the Brits used to proudly and loudly proclaim Baird as the inventor of TV. But his electromechanical contrivance incapable of much development was insignificant compared with the  elctronic system devised in America.
Thanks Simon

Lucky they did not end the series with a Seven. The colour TV mask system seems impossible; a masterful device. In the 60s I worked on the beautifully made machine for the cable pictures for the newspapers (whenever by radio the picture was all characteristically streaky). A small school group from a very remote country school few NZers would identify came thru. One little girl was intrigued that she could talk directly to the operator in London. She said "I come from Kimbolton. Do you know where that is?!"
Logie Baird near electocuted himself from a huge stack of torch batteries wired in series. As with many inventors much of his work was aimed at reaping patent rewards form the products of others.
Curious to be reminded that I was not the only person who dressed like that.
Thanks for that link, Simon, it's wonderful viewing. There are some good stories about the development of the telegraph system as well, one of its first large-acsle users being railway companies. Guess what? The operators, a mixture of men and women, started to use the system for flirting!