The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MG TD brakes
From my experience running old cars many lining materiils of even 40 years ago were markedly harder and less effective in normal driving than the original 1950s style linings, and the more recent ones intended for power brakes are very unsatisfactory.
He needs Green gripper linings from Saftek
https://saftek.co.uk/friction-products-f...lications/
As he was telling me his tale of woe, Saftech sprung to mind Nick.
as i have already found out.

green gripper on its own, IS NOT ENOUGH.

the oily rags brakes are still crap.

like anything, you have to have two good surfaces together.

tony
This is puzzling. I know the car in question and it’s owner knows what he is about. The brakes have not responded to any of the normal fixes. There is something wrong we can’t find.
Alan Fairless
Did he fill up break fluid? Too much will disturbe operation.
Someone in the past fitted the wrong replacement cylinder?
Has he checked the brake hoses to make sure they haven't collapsed internally?

This has happened to the hydraulic brake hoses of a number of Morris Eight owners - the Morris 8 shares the same Lockheed master cylinder as the earlier 'T' Types though not the TD. The hoses can look perfectly fine on the outside but can delaminate internally reducing the pressure considerably.
I'd always thought that there was a major difference between Austin Seven barn finds, and the likes of the Morris 8 or Spridget. Put air in tyres, check oil and water, see if it fires up. If a Seven fires up, off you go. If any of the others fire up, take it home on a trailer and change brake hoses, cylinders, nice new fluid, then off you go.