The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lakeland roads - as they used to be
I think I've driven a Seven over most of the more obvious of those where access is still possible. Kirkstone, Newlands, Honister (obviously!), Hardnott, Wrynose, Whinlater. I've not driven The Struggle but I have stood at the top, looked down it and thought 'One day.....'!

Steve
The route is this:

Start in Kentmere
Garburn Road to Troutbeck
Kirkstone Pass into Patterdale. Then to Borrowdale
Ashness Bridge Road to Watendlath
Grange in Borrowdale Rigg Head Quarry road and Castle Crag
Honister Pass
Newlands Pass
Whinlatter Pass
Grasmere over Dunmail Raise
Red Bank into Langdale
Blea Tarn Road into Little Langdale
Wrynose Pass
Honister Pass
Back over Honister and via Devoke Water and Walna Scar Road to Coniston
Tarn Hows
Kirkstone via the Struggle
Garburn Road back to Kentmere

The good? news is most of it is fully surfaced and open to traffic. The only definite "no go" is the Castle Crag bit in Borrowdale. The Garburn Road is theoretically open to cars but is very rough and may not have been repaired after storm damage. The Walna Scar Track, again, is theoretically open and was passable when I drove it but thats at least 30 years ago.
Alan Fairless
Marvellous! Thank you Alan.

Now to start looking at the maps...
As the basis of a day's pass-storming, you could follow the route of the Fred Whitton Challenge for cyclists:
Start Grasmere
Kirkstone
Honister
Newlands
Whinlatter
Hardknott
Wrynose
Blea Tarn

Total distance 113 miles

Apparently the top cyclists do it in a bit over 6 hours!
(18-04-2020, 02:19 PM)Alan Wrote: ... The Garburn Road is theoretically open to cars but is very rough and may not have been repaired after storm damage. The Walna Scar Track, again, is theoretically open and was passable when I drove it but thats at least 30 years ago.

The Ordnance Survey map has Garburn Pass as a 'Restricted Byway (not for use by mechanically propelled vehicles)'  Sad

113 miles in 6 hours, Malcolm? That's as quick as an Austin Eight  Big Grin
It’s out of date, Mike. The restricted ruling was overturned about 18 months ago when someone proved historical use.
Alan Fairless
20 plus years ago I was in a trialing club,the rights of way officer a local schoolmaster,was also on the LARA committee and was tasked to drive the Walna Scar .So one weekend we set off, he had a Rangerover, me a Jeep, my pal also,and a Lightweight,We took wives and kids,spent all day building up lost routes with boulders and skree,met plenty of offended ramblers,had a cracking day, and got the cars the full way.He then reported back at the local LARA meeting in Kendal.The mountain bikers , said they’d tried the route, and it was way too difficult,seconded by the the bike and horse riders, he said we’d driven the full route, even had a picnic midday with kids and wives.They incredulous, said would he do it again? No way he says, we’d ripped the side out of his Rangie, my tyres were lacerated, and the Lightweight lost its exhaust from the manifold back! Great day out
Many of the dirt roads in the film look similar to a lot NZ backroads, perhaps not the roughest sections, although even they can be found here if so desired. Some people only like to stick to sealed roads, but some truly great motoring can easily be had if you are slightly more adventurous.
Black Art Enthusiast
If anybody is keen on have ago at some of the lanes when the lockdown ends the I will
Have ago with you in my 7 special was looking to have a week there before the lockdown happened will need some fresh air by then .
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
Many years ago I recall reading that an Austin 7 was once driven to the top of Skiddaw in the Lake District.  Does anyone have any recollection of this?