The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Towing?
Peter,
I was once towed by my father when my Triumph Bonneville stopped near Llandovery. He was a motor cycle instructor during the war and told me to hold the rope on the left hand grip, so that you could still use the front brake lever to stop.
We towed the 60 miles home at a good speed only parting company once, on a hump back bridge on a bend.

Roger
Some years ago, a friend and I bought a Trabant at Bonham's auction at Harrogate. This was a Thursday in mid November and we decided that I'd drive it the 40 miles home whilst he followed in his Discovery. The direct way home was via the A1 and M62 and we decided that's the way we'd go; not the best of decisions particularly as the Traby had been imported form East Germany some years before and was still on East German plates (East Germany not existing by this time). What we didn't know was that the Traby had run out of petrol as they took it into the auction hall so Bonham's people had, helpfully, put a gallon or so in it.  That would have got us home if only they'd though to add some two stroke oil!! 5pm, wet Thursday night, the engine seized at the point the A1 south bound meets the A64 sliproad and I ended up parked on the diagonal hatching at the point the the two met. My friend, in the Disco, was parked on the hard shoulder two lane widths away. I don't, quite, remember how but he eventually got the Disco onto the hatching and we tied the Traby onto the back with a rope. He then proceeded to tow me home along the motorway route we'd decided on. 

Later I started to add up how many rules and regulations we'd broken but, thankfully, we got the thing home without any bother - perhaps it was a night that was too wet and cold for much police activity. The story of how we rescued the seized engine, the fun we had with the thing and the antics of the bloke who eventually bought it from us and set off home to Bristol in it (where his Wife was due to have an induced birth of their first child the next morning) are for another day. 

Steve