The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do I have in my garage?
Thank you Steve,

can 184194 be dated like the other numbers?
If the chassis number really is 184194 then you should find it stamped into the top of the left hand chassis rail about 5-10cm rearwards of the rear engine mounting, close to where a P clamp should locate the fuel pipe. With the car being a special however the bodywork may be obscuring it. The car is definitely not a Speedy! Door hinges are early Mini. Exhaust manifold has been cut and welded to exit horizontally. Head is late Ruby HC version. Unless you have already done it, I would check the brakes from front to rear. A7 brakes are "adequate" at best. Don't compare them to a modern.
Thanks for identifying the door hinges and the late Ruby head HC version. Does that match with 11.1936? in the cast iron of the head I can see "AF2" and "1A911" too. What data is related to that head?

184194 is not the chassis number - it is mentioned in the registration certificate as engine number - but far away from what I can see.

I've checked the brakes. The springs are lax and stretched and the brake cams have play. Parts are on the way from GB. I don't compare them to modern but I want to feel some deceleration that comes from the brakes.
(14-04-2020, 02:58 PM)Bela Wrote: Thank you Steve,

can 184194 be dated like the other numbers?

Engine number 184194 dates to late October/early November 1933.

Steve
Hello Steve

on the bulkhead there is an additional plate with "M0843486". 0843486 is also part of the 17 digits VIN. What do you think that stands for?
Not an Austin related number. Engine numbers are prefixed with 'M' but the rest means nothing from an Austin point of view.

Steve
This was for sale in NZ on trademe some time back and advertised as a Speedy by the vendor then, is is a fibreglass and aluminium special nothing more.
Black Art Enthusiast
(14-04-2020, 01:06 PM)Bela Wrote: The brakes will not stop the car sufficient but stops the car in reverse direction

if the brakes are massively better in reverse than when going forward it would be worth taking a good look at the condition and adjustment of the chassis radius arm ball joint; the axle moving backwards during forward motion braking pulls the brakes off. slackness here also provides a self servo effect when reversing.
Hope you didn't pay" Speedy money " for the car Bela. It looks an attractive car however and with some work and care it could be made into a nice car. I think many of us me included, have been disappointed when buying a car sight unseen.
@Ian

no fiberglass at all.

@Stuart

A very good hint. I'll have a look.

I didn't pay speedy money. Winning an auction by phone means to pay one time more than people, who are present. We will bring it on German roads but the German authorities don't know any mercy.