The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do I have in my garage?
I append some pictures that shows the body is made out of aluminimum and the scuttle is steel.

In mean the coachbuilder did a good job.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Well my apologies I stand corrected, so the Meteor suggestion is out then, looks like you have no option but to say it is a recently constructed one off special made up from a collection of parts, I have no idea how the German authorities view such cars.
Black Art Enthusiast
@Ian Williams

We will see how the German authorities will decide. But from my point of view it is not a recently constructed body. It points back to last century. Aluminum is an older stuff than fibre glass. Parts like brakes, engine parts etc. are replaced. But such things happens in the life time of such an old car.
Hi Bela
Not wanting to put words into Ian's mouth, but in Austin Seven terms 'recently' can be any time in the last 30 (if not 50) years, it really means it didn't start out like that and so 'originality' or the cars true origins are more difficult to prove.

Best of luck with registering. From what I have read here previously with people trying to register one off specials with little documentation, you cannot beat knowing someone who has done it before in your local system, irrespective of the base car. So if you can link in with someone in Germany with some personal hints and tips for things to emphasise and things not to raise, then you will be in as better place to start.
Andy B
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
@Andy Bennet

I'm not a native speaker - so misunderstanding is always possible and therefore I ask for your indulgence.

Building "Specials" seems to have a long history. There are pictures of specials dated 1926, 1934 and 1946 in the book "Austin'7 specials" by L.M. Williams (first print 1958). So specials are worth to be seen as cultural property and the author mentioned that one reason was the omitted purchase tax for "one-off" vehicles.

For what does the expression "one-off" stand?
@ Bela
 one-off = done, made, or happening only once
Hi Bela
Don't worry about any misunderstandings, your English is good, it is just our use of specific terms which might confuse.

I don't have a special nor do I have experience of registering them, but my understanding from reading the experience of others is that the process has become more difficult as the years have gone by.

So, a 'Special' built in the 1950s was relatively easy to register, and once registered it has that registration secured forever. The problems come with either Specials moving between Countries or newly built specials, for which there are many threads on here about people offering 'specials ready to register' on ebay, but which are likely impossible to register because of their lack of paperwork and proof of origin of specific components.

The story that seems to run through all of these is that the Austin Seven world (and other car marques) is full of sellers offering 'Specials ready to register' for bargain prices because they have found that they actually can't be registered under the latest rules and they hope to pass the problem on to someone else.

I think that is what Ian was trying to say, if you can find a link to an earlier recognised model then you might have a stronger case.

Having said all of that, as I say, if you can find someone with experience of registering a Special with limited paperwork in Germany then that might be your best chance.

All offered in my extremely limited experience of reading other's stories.

Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Thanks Andy!

The car has been registered in NZ and UK (as a historical vehicle!). I think that could be a good start but DLVA and NZTA do no cooperate since now.

I guess it will be possible to get some information and papers from the German Club. Some Members own registered specials.
Meanwhile I have seen pictures in other threads. The brake pedal lever which is mounted to the steering box of my car seems to be different so any comment will be welcome.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)