The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rev counter drive
On my A7, I have this rev counter drive mounted at the dynamo. Inside, it uses a speedo cable drive pinion to attach the cable.
I would like to find something similar for my second A7. Is such a rev counter drive available somewhere or do I have to make one myself ?

thanks, Oliver
I have a feeling Tony Betts (Seven County Austins) used to do these.

Don't mean to criticise but I have a worry about that grease nipple - lubrication in this area wants to be done very sparingly.
Hi Oliver

I made my own.  The main difficulty was getting a threaded rod to match the cable nut.  As it happened the nut on the cable I bought was very weak alloy and I ended up making a new one so could have used any thread.

Here’s a pic. Of the components and finished drive.

I echo Chris’s comments on lubrication!  Luckily I have original oilers on my two cars.

Cheers

Howard

Attached Files
.jpeg   A0699242-046E-4285-92A6-9974DA7044E6.jpeg (Size: 185.66 KB / Downloads: 491)
.jpeg   DCCFCBD5-CBD7-4E74-9053-BE28A71B5EC0.jpeg (Size: 160.04 KB / Downloads: 492)
I think Dave Dye does these.

Erich in Seattle
I use the threaded speedo drive from the 4 speed gearbox , rather like Howard does with a thin nut in the bottom of the dynamo. The drive is a spade drive from a Vincent motorbike, available on the internet. All it needs is a slot with a double hacksaw in the distributor drive after you remove the drive gear. I will take some pictures tomorrow.

.docx   Rev drive.docx (Size: 611.58 KB / Downloads: 115)
I have a lovely Speedex rev counter for my special but no drive from the dynamo, I don't feel confident to do the modification myself would anyone know of someone who would take the job on the me. I do have the cable with a 90 degree drive.
I can still do these but require the dynamo end and distributor shaft to do it.The dynamo end needs to be drilled and faced in the lathe to do a good job.The drive cable is likely to fail quickly if not.
I can make the drive the same as the gearbox output. Pm me if so.
Is your rev counter 2:1,will it run both ways ?