The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sir Stirling Moss, Rest in Peace
Stirling Moss, Probably the best driver in the world , only the death defying crash at Goodwood prematurely ending his F1 career where he always played the team game. Long after he stopped competing he always gave much back to the sport .

RIP.Sir Stiriling . A true Knight of the road.
(12-04-2020, 04:30 PM)Peter Clayton Wrote: Stirling Moss, Probably the best driver in the world , only the death defying crash at Goodwood prematurely ending his F1 career where he always played the team game. Long after he stopped competing he always gave much back to the sport .

RIP.Sir Stiriling . A true Knight of the road.

Very well said! His crash was on Easter Monday, 1962. 58 years ago tomorrow.
According to Wikipedia his first car was an Austin Seven - given to him by his dad at the age of 9!

For me Moss & Jenks in the '55 Mille Miglia was one of the greatest drives in motoring history.
Sad news. RIP Stirling. You inspired many within and without the sport.

Erich in Seattle
This is a still from the 2012 BBC documentary, which implies this is the actual car Stirling had when he was six years old:

.jpg   stirling Moss.JPG (Size: 31.95 KB / Downloads: 202)
Of the few persons I have met who began young in Sevens, all are very capable drivers.
Stirling's everyday road driving was blotted by several convictions.
The Mille Miglia is an intrigiuing read but blind corners  and undulations on public roads in normal use taken way  over 100 mph not the heights of responsible behaviour.
As with most who have not driven a Seven  for a very long time he looks a little challenged in the photo.
Bob, the Mille Miglia was a race, and it was not run 'on public roads in normal use'; public roads, yes, but they were effectively closed over the entire length of the circuit, and every Italian in the area was well aware of the event, and most were spectating!
(12-04-2020, 08:37 PM)Bob Culver Wrote: The Mille Miglia is an intrigiuing read ...

That account of the 1955 Mille Miglia by DSJ is probably the finest piece of motoring journalism ever.
A good period film about him here. Interviewed driving about London in an MGB!

[video=youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUOtYQPe3Po[/video]

Simon

Oh, VERY slowly I might add. Everyone is passing him!
It is very many years since i read the account, but there was some furious driving on public roads. Perhaps a practice run.