The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sir Stirling Moss, Rest in Peace
Sad news for this beautiful Easter Day.

Sir Stirling Moss died in the early hours of this morning at the age of 90, with his wife by his side.

I'm not sure about resting in peace - perhaps the howl of a Coventry Climax would be more appropriate? Or perhaps the crackle of a 250f Maserati, or maybe the sweet thunder of the Mercedes W196.

The first of the true Professional drivers, perhaps the last of the true sporting Gentleman drivers.

He will be sorely missed by many.
R.I.P. Stirling
Alan Fairless
...and a supporter of the first Class H record attempt organised by Chris Gould.
Second one actually, Chris.
Alan Fairless
Not unexpected, but still sad. My boyhood hero, adult too come to think of it.
Great driver, great sportsman, great ambassador for motorsport. Not many people get to be a legend in their own lifetime.
I remember him racing when I was growing up. He was of the same generation as drivers such as Mike Hawthorn and Roy Salvadori. He will be sadly missed.
I was lucky enough to see him at one of his first races...Goodwood Easter 1949 (? Might have been 1948 ...bit hazy!) with my dad. He absolutely drove the daylights out of the 500's in particular. I saw him at a few British GP in the 50,s and then when I was serving in Germany at a few races in the early  60,s ..Zandvoort, Spa and the RING. ..once when it rained he came from nowhere and ended up winning by about 30seconds! 1961 or 62. I also saw possibly his last proper race at the Bruxelles GP. Sadly he got nowhere that day. I also sold him some Tutch latch door catches for his hi tech flat! I made a point of delivering them personally! Charming man , what a driver ...Monte Carlo Rally three up in a Sunbeam Talbot 90 anyone!
I suppose at last I will have to stop mouthing at other drivers. "Who the hell do you think you are? Stirling Moss?" Come to think of it, I  have got some funny looks these last 50 years.
I remember reading that he used to remove the cyl head of his Cooper and polish after each run. Times have changed.
Excuse me sir, but who do you think you are.....
RIP
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!