The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best battery for 1937 Opal
Looked after I expect mine to last eight years on average.
Thank you gentlemen for the information.
Recently purchased a battery from Lincon Batteries to replace the one I bought from them in 2012 for my Pearl. Battery model 421.
I use 421s too and always buy them from Alpha  Batteries https://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/6v-421...r-battery/
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
Battery life? The one on my Skoda Fabia VRs diesel lasted eleven years. On a Skoda Octavia diesel, eight years. I believe Mike Costigan had one that lasted even longer on a modern?
I remember in 1970 or so, putting a pair of new 6-volt batteries into an MGB at Mike Hurt's garage in Great Longstone. Mike suggested we try to recover one of the old ones by washing it out and putting in new acid. It worked, came back to life - and lasted a good four years on my Seven.
The longest lasting one I've had was 14 years (Vauxhall Astra), which was pretty good going. The local motor factor's here say that seven years is about average. Most of mine have lasted between 5 and ten years so that fits. However, I think the Exide one on the Chummy did very well to last 10 years, given the far from optimum electrical conditions it was subjected to! That actually died very suddenly. Fine one day, sluggish the next, totally dead the next. Car batteries do seem to be a bit of a lottery!
I was thinking of buying on-line as it's very convenient, especially at the moment, but has anyone tried to claim on the guarantee for a battery bought this way.

When I had an issue with a Shield branded battery which was bought relatively locally I had to return it to them for inspection and testing before they would even consider replacing it.   30 miles away wasn't so bad but on-line would presumably mean trying to arrange and also pay for a courier with no certainty the claim would be accepted.

John.
Things to note when buying on line

New batteries are mostly delivered without acid which has to be procured locally.

As any faulty returns will be filled with acid most couriers and the post office will not handle them

if trying a local supplier, ask if they have a 6volt  MGB battery as they may have heard of a 50 year old MGB but a 1930s A7 is not on their list or mind
I replaced the original battery on my car last year when it was fourteen years old; Isabel's car still has its original battery, which will be fifteen years old at the end of this week ... both are/were Yuasa batteries on Hyundais.
Brand is no guarantee though. Yuasa are a top make, but the one on my Ford Focus recently died after only two years, thankfully replaced under warranty (local motor factors). I currently have an unbranded one on the Chummy, the type with lead bars on the top, so who knows how long this one will last!