The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mag Drive Spindle
I don't know if anyone will find this of interest, but I was reading a review on Amazon of Graham Robson's book "The A-Series Engine: It's First Sixty Years", posted by a gentleman named R.J. Battersby, who in his own words "was an engine designer at Longbridge between 1970 and 1976 and spent a significant period working as a member of the A-Series team."

I'll simply quote:

"One thing that Robson didn't mention was something I learned when I was modifying the material specification of the A-Series distributor drive spindle (which had a 9 tooth helical gear at one end engaging with the camshaft drive gear and a slotted flange at the other end driving the ignition distributor). I got the original drawing from the drawing stores and noted that it was first drawn in the early 1920s. I then noted that its name had been changed from 'Magneto Drive Spindle'. Yes, this was a part first designed for the 1921 Austin Seven engine and was probably the only part still in production that would fit an engine built almost 50 years before!"
Odd though that the magneto drive spindle doesn't have a 9 tooth helical gear.
I suspect the author was confusing magneto and distributor or dynamo!
Total nonsense, an A series distributor drive spindle is nothing like an Austin Seven mag drive shaft
1970 was a long time ago....of course it's entirely possible an old drawing might have been heavily altered by the time Mr. Battersby saw it.
Chris, are you familiar with the A series?, or a Magneto drive.Here is an A series distributor shaft

Interesting quote Chris - next thing you know someone will be thinking it was you that said it.