The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battery Isolator - Advice Please
Didn't we discuss this exhaustively under 'green knob' some months back ?
Thanks for all the comments.

I had decided to go for one of the Quick disconnect battery terminals from AES and give up on the Red Key one I'd already bought but I've just had a measure up and there's not enough clearance between the top of the battery posts and underside of the seat to get one in.

Short of raising the seat I think the easiest thing is to move the fire extinguisher but where to?  If I put it just in front of the driver's seat (ie. like it is on the passenger side at the moment) it looks like it will be hard to avoid stepping on it when I get in.

That being said I can't really find anywhere else I could quickly grab it from in an emergency.

Where have others mounted theirs?
As I suggested search under Green Knob or Battery Isolater or Battery Isolator.
As Tony says, this has featured several times. I've just had a play with "Advanced Search", which is much more effective than the basic window top right.

Regarding why the earth side is isolated in preference to the live side, somebody in another thread made the very good point that the switch terminals do not need to be insulated on the earth side, but if installed on the live side a short to earth from an uninsulated bit of the switch is very possible.
Four to choose from here: https://www.theaustinsevenworkshop.com/s...ery+switch
If your ignition is by magneto the red flag "FIA" type of switch can be made to act as an engine kill switch as well. It has two sets of contacts, one set is made when the other set is broken, giving the opportunity for the magneto to be earthed as the battery is disconnected.

Regards,

Stuart