The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
S gearbox questions.
ChittI (AG tourer special) has a four speed box which I'm led to believe is a sports box  it has  an S  marking (to go with the hydraulic brakes and Nippy carb and manifolds )  It is quiet & changes well,but tends to jump out of gear when accelerating unless I hang on to the gear lever. It goes with a clunk and almost seems to try to get straight into second!
In reverse there is some juddering. .the car has a hardy spicer propshaft.....Otherwise the clutch is smooth. ..where is the wear most likely? All the back axle/suspension  joints are new/ok.
Hi first place to look is a the detant springs and balls in the top of the gearbox. It is likely that one of the springs has failed, a common problem on sevens.
Juddering in reverse is common due to throttle pedal bounce, try the hand throttle and see it it improves.
Thanks I will try it on the hand throttle 
Do you get at the springs/ball from the upper rear of the box.? ....there are a number (3?) of hex plugs there.
I have just found the "Cornwall" article on this subject and putting in new spring & ball looks possible without removing the box. Not dropping parts in the gearbox looks like a problem! !
The plugs are straightforward, but then removing the shaft and selector etc is the clever bit! Parts cost pennies!
David
David, I doubt it is possible to withdraw the selector rods in situ? No doubt some clever dick will now chip in that he's done it a hundred times! Either way I'd have it out on the bench where you can make a proper job of it. A genuine sports box is surely worth a bit more effort. Warming up the casing makes it way easier to strip and re-assemble without hammers and cursing.
This clever dick has done it, but I agree that having the box on the bench is the right answer. A small magnet on a bit of curtain wire can be very useful for recovering balls and bits of spring from the bottom of the gearbox. Do not assume that springs break in two: I have found a number of them in three pieces, so make sure to remove all of them.
Robert Leigh
I love this forum for the banter between subscribers it really helps with the boredom covad19 has brought upon us with the lockdown. I refer to such things like in this thread when Chris KC makes some comment about some clever dick on here saying he’s done it a hundred times. Next entry by Robert Leigh, This clever dick has done it. Then goes on with his advice. Keep up with all the good advice lads and the banter.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
I gather from other conversations that Robert is not the only one who has managed it! Though most so far concede it is more easily and better done on a bench. It's gratifying indeed that most folks on here are only trying to help, and their egos are not so frail that they can't take the odd correction / conflicting opinion - and long may it last!