The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brake pedal again !
As some of you will know I've been struggling with pedal operation for some time.(1927 Special)
To recap the original throttle was poorly sited, this has been removed and as you can see from the photos I'm experimenting with a new set up.
However before finalising the throttle I need to correct the brake pedal, you may remember it being excessively long, 3 to 4 inches closer to the driver making application uncomfortable. 
It was suggested that I try a Ruby pedal, however this being a straight lever didn't work.
You will see from the photos the original pedal loops round the steering box lever before entering the car, is this correct?
I've also tried a Chummy pedal, but when fitted is only an inch from the floor!
In short the original pedal is to long, the Chummy to short .
Picture 1. Shows all three pedal, the excessively bent pedal is the original.
Picture 2 . Shows the Chummy pedal in place.
Picture 3. Routing around steering box arm.
Any ideas anyone.

Many thanks
Paul
(For the purists out there the two modern fixing screws are only temporary ?)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The 'Chummy' pedal is right, it's the floor that's in the wrong position.
Why didn't the Ruby pedal work?
What is the clutch pedal like?
Clutch pedal is fine, no problem.
The Ruby pedal fowls on the steering box.

Agree, the floor is in the wrong place - it should follow the slope of the steering column at right angles to it.

The Chummy pedal looks as if it would work, if it could travel the extra couple of inches the floor has stolen by being vertical.

Which is why the previous owner has tried to give the pedal back those inches by lengthening it.

Which brings it too far towards the driver to be able to use it comfortably.

Unless you can move the driving position back, lengthen the clutch pedal to come approximately level with the original brake pedal, and fiddle about with the acceleratior to suit -

I think you are going to have to remodel the bulkhead/floor at this point.
When you say floor do you mean bulkhead firewall.

The Ruby clutch pedal is not fitted fully home on the pivot, it needs to go towards the steering box another 1/2 inch. It should not touch the drop arm but at rest it should rest against the felt seal cover.
Agree with Henry and Simon. The floor/bulkhead is the real problem. However, the Chummy pedal looks good if only the arm was longer. There is a version with a longer arm - see below.

You can also lengthen the Chummy arm. I've had one so lengthened on my Trials Car for years. However, the Ruby arm gives the most options. You don't have to stick with the pedal arm you have. You can make one to fit your particular situation. Photos below show a lengthened Chummy pedal and the pedal arm out of the Ruby pedal on my Ulster.

Steve
Apart from trying to source the longer Chummy pedal, thanks Steve, is the bulkhead alterations as big a job as it appears?
I know it's the only real answer and presumably the extra room will help with the general driving position but it does seam like an awful lot of work?
Can anyone supply me any pictures of what the floor/ bulkhead is ment to look like.
Many thanks
if you look at the engineering drawings in the dropbox for the Association, you can see the face of the floor behind the pedals is more at right angles to the steering column than yours. And the cross bar for the carb arm is attached incredibly close to the bulkhead  right at the top of this slope..

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jb4e0eg95m3r8...GdGt2Dla#/