The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin Selective Assembly Film 1930
Interesting film on YouTube.  Quite a bit of A7 stuff.  I know they tested the engines but did not know they tested that many at one time.

https://youtu.be/GBJV0bHw3eM
Some interesting features.
After Seven engines were assembled they were passed DOWN to the engine test area.This part of the film is thus out of sequence.
Interesting to note that the prop-shaft and carden block were connected to the engine assembly prior to fitting into the chassis. 
The sump does not appear to be painted.
Once in the chassis, the operative briefly lifts the rear of the assembly. Any ideas why?
They're a lot quicker at it than I am!
It's ironic that 'selective assembly' is nowadays considered the antithesis of good production practice. No doubt at the time it was 'state of the art'. Last time I worked on a vehicle assembly line cars were rolling off at one every 50 seconds. It looks a whole lot faster when you are the guy standing there doing it - a bit like standing in the middle of the M1. (Though possibly not today).
As I might have mentioned guess which one will still be running in 90 years  Big Grin
I would have thought that running the Austin Seven engines (40 at a time) would have revealed the oil burners before they were fitted into the chassis. 

I seem to remember reading somewhere a story that the cars were run when completed and the engines that smoked were exchanged- or was this a later plan, possibly to speed production
Make that 20 years Tony! Electronics is the kiss of death to everything...
I believe the testing of engines in complete cars was replaced by the filmed testing beds with Englebach's 1926 reorganisation of the production lines.
Mike is quite correct in this, coupled with the standardisation of production.
The full account of all this will be found in the Institute of Automobile Engineers Proceedings, 1927 - 1928. Some Notes on Re-Organising a Works to Increase Production by C. R. F. Engelbach.
Excellent work by Engelbach , who when first appointed by the Austin Motor Company receivers was disliked by Herbert Austin.

Later Herbert grew to appreciate his great knowledge and appointed him Works Director at Longbridge

Engelbach was elected President of the Institution of Automobile Engineers in 1933