The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New chap in town with a Cambridge Special project
(06-04-2020, 09:54 PM)Pete236 Wrote: Charles, I don't think I knew about the driving test - that's great! It must have made a lovely change for the examiners as a car enthusiast, to have a real car as opposed to the more modern offerings I'm sure he was used to...
This reminds me of one of my favourite Brockbank cartoons - sadly I cannot find an image to show you, but it consisted of a number of worried-looking examiners drawing straws for the next candidate. Through the window could be seen through the driving snow a young lady wearing a crash-hat and sitting in a D-Type Jaguar ...
(07-04-2020, 08:32 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote:
(06-04-2020, 09:54 PM)Pete236 Wrote: Charles, I don't think I knew about the driving test - that's great! It must have made a lovely change for the examiners as a car enthusiast, to have a real car as opposed to the more modern offerings I'm sure he was used to...
This reminds me of one of my favourite Brockbank cartoons - sadly I cannot find an image to show you, but it consisted of a number of worried-looking examiners drawing straws for the next candidate. Through the window could be seen through the driving snow a young lady wearing a crash-hat and sitting in a D-Type Jaguar ...

I can picture the scene, and it's making me chuckle! I think Dad has a book of Brockbank's work somewhere.
The first bits are on order, exciting stuff!
Bearings, seals and gaskets for the front hubs, and main bearings for the gearbox.
Many thanks to David Cochrane for his time and advice!
Not a lot of progress, but there is some.

Dad has got keen on tackling the floor, and is making up an angle iron frame. This will bolt to the chassis and have a small gap to the body, so that the floor moves with the chassis and lets the body flex on its own.

Plywood cut to shape will drop into the frame, and rest on the chassis legs. It will do the job though it might end up a little heavy.

We have a Ruby gearbox cover which we might try and incorporate into the mix, but not sure yet.

Meanwhile I've been rummaging through all the bits of brakes that we have. I'm told there is another pot of brake levers and cams in the loft still, but this is what I've sorted through so far:

The plan is to use Bowden cables fore and aft. I'm hoping that the levers I need are in the other box in the loft. But I would love to be as to identify which of these levers and cams belong to which set up!

I've found 3 of the chunky cast iron drums which I've cleaned up and primed, but no sign of a 4th yet. The 3 just need a gentle skim and they will be fine.
Also 10 of the steel semi-Girling brake shoes which are all in reasonable nick. When I've got the front hub bearings and have a hub and backplate built up, I'll measure up and work out what thickness of lining to go for, and get the shoes off to Saftek for their Green Gripper linings. 

I did find something interesting today - the new body is about 1 1/2" wider than the original. The rear brakes will have to be built onto the axle before the body goes on, else there isn't the clearance to get the actuator and adjuster in from the back of the shoe! And it means body off anytime the gubbins needs attention...
Top row left to right pair of dropped (sports) track rod arms, brake cross shaft lever nearside I think. Then various shoe springs. Below then are a pair of standard cams and levers, the cams are handed. Below then are girling adjuster and cam box. On the left of them are a pair of standard brake cams with a rear spring pin (axle end) above. 

Bottom left working upwards are a pair of Bowden type brake levers followed by a pair of girling cams, I believe these are both handed and different front to rear and finally a pair of girling brake levers. 

I do hope the above is correct, I'm sure other more knowledgeable members will advise eg on the details of girling brakes.
Hi Pete

I have sent you a PM.

Simon
Hi Pete, I have just done a Bowdenex conversion on mine so happy to send you the pictures. I had the cables but had to make the the brackets etc. Can send pictures over. Just so annoying as you would be welcome to walk the 30 yards to my place and take a look if things were different!

Dave
(07-04-2020, 08:32 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote:
Crazy that it's not in the famous Brockbank soft-back book - nor any of the others I have. Never mind, even reading about raises a broad smile. Thanks.
Which reminds me, driving test stories. There must be millions of amusing ones out there. In 1969 a friend, Phillip, who had been riding a 650 Norton for several months without a licience, need to take his test. So, as a sort of joint joke, we decided that he should take it on my 1921, chain-cum-belt 269 cc Villers-engined Sparkbrook. I warned him about the chances of spark-plug whiskering and the severe difficulty of stating when hot - and to compensate he should get to the test station an hour early and let it cool down. Of course, he was only just in time and, true to form it would not kick start. Now, Phillip was a young guy and super fit, and so proceeded to push the bike up and down the road in a vain attempt to get it running, the examiner looking on. After the allotted 30 minutes had passed - Phillip now drenched in sweat and in not too good a temper - the examiner informed him that the allocated time was up and the test cancelled. Further, he pointed out, he would not have let him take the test in any case, as one front brake block was missing. This information was greeted with some anger apparently and a brusk enquiry as to why this important fact had not been made clear from the start. Seeing Phillip getting really wound up, the examiner fled back into the test centre. When we went to collect the bike later that afternoon it - naturally - started first kick.

Attached Files
.jpg   Sparkbrook.jpg (Size: 168.62 KB / Downloads: 297)
Hi Pete,

I think you’re absolutely right separating body from floor — take the flexing stress off the body.
Give my regards to Graham.

Charles
(07-04-2020, 08:32 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote:
The Brockbank Omnbibus 1957